Gibson Brands Forums

1938 Gibson L-30 conversion to maple L-00

brrobert

This is my latest project... I have a small bodied archtop Gibson (L-30) from the late 30's. It is kind of beat-- back is separating from the rim, cracks in the top, somebody had put a pickup and control on it, etc. The back and sides look rough but are crack free. It sounds OK, but not great... the neck is killer!

My plan is to have it re-topped like an L-00 (its the same body size) with the 70 year old maple back and sides. Aaron Cowles of Jubal Guitars is doing the work. He was a Gibson luthier in Kalamazoo for many years before they moved the factory. He makes Gibson inspired acoustics in his small shop in Michigan. It looks like he will re-bind the whole body and put a new finish on it. The neck and headstock will remain original.

I'm kind of excited about this project because there aren't many small bodied Gibsons in maple from that era, except the L-Century. This is as close as I'll ever come! With the accelerating prices of Gibson flat top guitars, I wonder if we will start to see more people re-topping arch tops? People have been doing it with old Martin arch tops for years.

Bob

Bob-

How deep is the body on your L30? I think what you're doing is interesting, but I've never seen an old archtop with a body as deep as the L-00. You may be breaking important new ground, here!!

With all due respect to Mr. Martin, people have been retopping Martin archtops for years because they sound like crap! Realllly bad. Martin never quite figured out what the word 'arch' meant in terms of design, and just how integral that aspect was to the sound.

Post some pics and your opinion of what it sounds like when you get done!

I've got a '37 L-50 Archtop that's beat, but sounds great and plays better!

But don't think I'd make any mods like that to it..................

Just my opinion.

Hoss: I think its the same L-body, no? It's not Nick Lucas deep, I know that. It will be like a Martin 00 I think.

Gear: I hear you... if this guitar sounded great, I wouldn't be doing this. It really is going to a better place...

This might be a GREAT move with those late 40's/early 50's L-48;s that had either laminate tops or mahogany tops.

Brother Robert,

Keep us posted! This is a very interesting experiment. What has Aaron said about the neck angle? Those Martin (I agree with you on these, Hoss) re-tops have required a neck reset to reduce the neck angle. Your guitar will likely require the same. I do think that the sides on an L-30 are shallower than on an L-00 to accommodate the arch of the top and back. Can you measure those sides for us?

Thanks!

Archived