Gibson Brands Forums

Bloody Hell Its True - LPJr Double Cut

Mr. Robot

It's a really sharp looking guitar, that's for sure; I just have a problem paying that much for a slab body with one pickup.

I don't know if you have any guitars with just one pickup, but be aware that you might find it a bit limiting. I own an SG Jr (that's mine below) and it's a fantastic guitar by almost any definition but it's not one I play as often as I would if it had a second pickup. Some guys will say that one pickup is enough and you can get more tones by fiddling with the volume and tone control and they're right to an extent but no amount of adjusting the controls is going to make a bridge pup sound like a neck pup or a combination of the two. The few sounds that it does get are great though.

sgj1.jpg

It's a really sharp looking guitar' date=' that's for sure; I just have a problem paying that much for a slab body with one pickup.

I don't know if you have any guitars with just one pickup, but be aware that you might find it a bit limiting. I own an SG Jr (that's mine below) and it's a fantastic guitar by almost any definition but it's not one I play as often as I would if it had a second pickup. Some guys will say that one pickup is enough and you can get more tones by fiddling with the volume and tone control and they're right to an extent but no amount of adjusting the controls is going to make a bridge pup sound like a neck pup or a combination of the two.

[img']http://www.richci.com/images/sgj1.jpg[/img]

You have a good point there. I have never owned a single PUP guitar. yours is gorgeous

For some reason, people rave about it AND the wrap around non-adjustable bridge.

Thanks! Believe it or not, it's a 1991 model that I hardly played at all the first 15 years I owned it. It came with one of those crappy Nashville bridges with the wire running over the saddles and it rattled like heck - drove me nuts. I didn't want to yank the original posts out of the body for a tune-o-matic (Nashville has narrower posts) and, finally, after contacting Gibson, they directed me to a guy that retrofit a tune-matic with some brass space reducers so it would fit on the existing posts and... voila! The only other thing I changed was the pickup cover as the stock one had some ugly matte finish to it so I bought the shiny one that looks like the old Jrs and put the original with the original bridge for posterior... or posterity or whatever.

I agree with comments above about pricing here though, even with the nitro finish and hard top it shouldn't be coming in at over 2k$. At least I don't think I would ever purchase it at that price given my own tastes I guess. Is Gibson big in Japan? Would an "entry level" guitar like that take off at the price?

Archived