Gibson Brands Forums

Just Wondering.

Andre S

When a guitarists guitar ( one who plays live (you'll see why) wears down the finish that is, to the bare wood, and they are sweating on a hot stage and the sweat goes onto the wood, would it damage to wood?

Like make it rot?

I only ask, because, I am wondering if I should put a layer of rubbing lacquer over, the faux binding on my Les Paul Studio or if I should leave it open, where it will get dirty.

I've had 2 acoustics that got kinda like what you're saying. Never had a problem I could figure. I've noticed Willie Nelson's poor innocent nylon string has suffered significantly from his pick, but it keeps sounding pretty decent to me...

Never really had that happen on an electric.

You must be pretty mean to your nice little strings...

m

When a guitarists guitar ( one who plays live (you'll see why) wears down the finish that is' date=' to the bare wood, and they are sweating on a hot stage and the sweat goes onto the wood, would it damage to wood?

Like make it rot?

I only ask, because, I am wondering if I should put a layer of rubbing lacquer over, the faux binding on my Les Paul Studio or if I should leave it open, where it will get dirty.[/quote']

Stay away from crystal meth (it makes you sweat hydrochloric acid) & your guitar should be ok. Natural sweat may tint or stain the wood - but not erode it.

All kidding aside, the main problem I've had with guitar finishes came one summer when I was living in a tent and the mosquitoes got to be reeeeally nasty. So as everyone else, I was glistening with "Off." Went to play some guitar and my sweating seemed worse than usual. Sweat? Nope. The guitar finish had turned to water.

m

A while back, I really wanted binding, so in a moment of insanity, I took sandpaper to it.

To create a faux binding effect.

I'm just glad its out of my system...

But yea, thats what I wanted to know, if the area where I sanded down, would rot or anything because of the sweat and dirt.

I said ..this is your frirst experiment modding a gee-tarr......so as next time you will do better.....

Or I will bust yo arse up etc.....

1aaB1112a-1.jpg

well, I did, mod it after again, I doubt you missed the couple of threads where I screwed up the wiring, trying to install RS stuff, and then fixed it myself a week later....

Archived