Gibson Brands Forums

What's the bestest, safest, legalest download site?

Cruznolfart

Actually I've got more stuff than I know what to do with at times just with youtube, a downloader extension for Firefox and a FLV player - all of which is, as far as I can tell, about as legal as anything and... I get to watch BB as well as listen.

Dennis, holler if you're interested in specifics. Oh, and with a bit more messin', you can record a direct feed through your sound card to make an MP3.

Super digital quality? Naah. But a lot better than some of my old tapes.

Besides, I dunno 'bout you, but much as I love music, I think the old ears are sufficiently worn that the true high quality is wasted on me anyway. $#%$#%$#

m

Watsa PCM?

Pulse Code Modulation. It's basically the industry standard modulation scheme for digital audio. Land line telephones have used it for decades' date=' digital video uses it also.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulse-code_modulation

Besides, I dunno 'bout you, but much as I love music, I think the old ears are sufficiently worn that the true high quality is wasted on me anyway. $#%$#%$#

I think they must be mate. FLV audio transcoded to mp3? I just couldn't do it! [thumbup]

DONT use Limewire.... Its one Virus after another!!!!

That's what I thought, thanks Simon. I appreciate the heads up. I also wonder about why anyone would suggest it in the first place, with the apparently general knowledge that it's a dirty site. :-k

Mac...

Most of the stuff I've got is "old," and not terribly good quality even run through tube amps of jukeboxes 40-50 years ago. <grin>

I tend to run the FLV through a netbook attached to set of speakers with a "bass" speaker added on the floor. It ain't hi fi, but frankly it's a lot better than what you'd hear from a car rig when I was in my 20s.

I can - but seldom do - convert from flv to mp3 or whatever. But I kinda like to see the Byrds playing on TV. <grin>

Again, I do wonder how much of my perspective is due to aging ears and how much is simply remembering the music as I heard it a long, long time ago.

For example, I easily remember listening when I was a kid to "records" on wind-up recordplayers with no electronic amplification at all. It doesn't take much to improve on that. Nor does it take much to improve on the 50s-60s car radio technology. Hey, when I installed my first car stereo I was in hog heaven even with speakers that folks today would definitely laugh at.

But maxed out and windows down in a 2-door hardtop car 17 feet long with fins on the side ... <grin> and the ability to hear the music was more of a limitation on highway speed than horsepower...

m

I use the iTunes Store, unless I get a free offer from Amazon, which I do on occasion. The disadvantage of iTunes is that you have to download through the iTunes application (which is only a disadvantage if you don't use iTunes to begin with). Amazon does let you download directly through the web browser, though they also have a download application which I fail to see the point in.

iTunes is almost entirely DRM-free now (major labels only... most of the indie labels are still DRM-encrypted) and 256kbps. Amazon is entirely DRM-free, but I don't know the bitrate.

Archived