Gibson Brands Forums

Early 60's Gibson LGO

Telechamp

I've got an early 60's (I believe) Gibson LGO which I've had for a lot of years now... I have never been able to determine the exact date of the guitar. All I get is educated guesses from various luthiers who have worked on it over the years - most say '60-'64. Can anybody tell by the pics the exact date of my LGO? Thanks!

LGO_FRONT_IMG_0534PB.jpg

LGO_IMG_0590PB.jpg

LGO_BACK_IMG_0595PB.jpg

LGO_BIND_IMG_0561PB.jpg

LGO_HDSTK_IMG_0569PB.jpg

The serial number (on the back of the headstock) should provide a pretty good lead to the year it was made. If you provide it, one of us on the forum should be able to trace its origin year by it. Or, there's programs or various pages on the internet that determine the origin year from the serial number.

Hope this helps.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

The serial number (on the back of the headstock) should provide a pretty good lead to the year it was made. If you provide it' date=' one of us on the forum should be able to trace its origin year by it. Or, there's programs or various pages on the internet that determine the origin year from the serial number.

Hope this helps.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff [/quote']

Yeah, I guess I should have thought of that - I guess there are Gibson guitar dating sites on the web - I'll check that out, or post it here if I can't find out anything.. Thanks ~

That bridge makes it a 1968 or later' date=' unless it's a replacement... but who really puts an adjustable bridge on by choice?[/quote']

Yes, the bridge is a replacement. I had the guitar worked on about ten years ago - it needed a lot of work. The luthier replaced the bridge. He also made a new truss rod for the guitar, took off the fretboard - cleaned and re-fitted it, new (original style) tuners, fret job, new nut, and set up. I really like the work done on it. Plays a lot better now.

I have an Epiphone FT30 Caballero (which was the Kalamazoo made equivalent of the Gibson LG-0) that was made in 1965 that has the identical screwed down pickguard. Without knowing the serial number...that would point to a clue that its likely from the same era...I would think.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Archived