Gibson Brands Forums

Ouch...

Andre S

Played for half hour standing up, and now my shoulder is killing me!

It never happened before, I usually had the strap at the very longest, and it never hurt,

Now I shortened the strap and it hurts!

I never knew strap length could do anything, I mean according to moments of a force, the greater the distance from the pivot to the force, the greater the force, shortening the strap should lessen the force!

Or is my Physics wrong?

Its time like these I'm glad I've got a chambered.

I used to get bad elbox pains when I played guitar @ a regular level, but then (a funny story if you where there) I was sitting in a McDonalds @ like 10:30 @ night with my guitar, and I lowered the strap as low as it would go, and Since then, I have always warn my guitars as low as the strap will go, now my pickhand doesent have to rest on my pinky, my elbows dont cramp up, and oh yea, it looks pretty cool[biggrin]

but I still get shoulder pains, I think that is just something guitarists have to deal with

I used to get bad elbox pains when I played guitar @ a regular level' date=' but then (a funny story if you where there) I was sitting in a McDonalds @ like 10:30 @ night with my guitar, and I lowered the strap as low as it would go, and Since then, I have always warn my guitars as low as the strap will go, now my pickhand doesent have to rest on my pinky, my elbows dont cramp up, and oh yea, it looks pretty cool[biggrin']

but I still get shoulder pains, I think that is just something guitarists have to deal with

Yea...maybe its just because its such a sudden change, for the last two months I was playing only sitting down...

Your physics are wrong.

If you were using your guitar to pry open a man hole cover, some of what you said makes some kind of sense.

Your load is a dead load hanging from your shoulder like a cardigan sweater. Shortening the strap will not lighten the load. Probably wont even redistribute the load much either.

Which shoulder is game?

Thats so weird, most of the time I play standing up, its my job to do it that way so I practice it that way. But when I was getting ready for my college audition I played sitting in the hotel room for like an hour and the shoulder of my picking hand started hurting so bad I couldn't move it.

Does anyone ever get a dead leg with the weight of their LP when playing it on there lap??

Nah..

I don't know if its related, or what, but today, my neck when I look to the right, kills me...

On the bright side, my shoulder is fine...:)

Take it easy at the beginning man and see what feels better for your body. Something tells me however that when you had the long strap you were only playing chords and then you shortened it, in order to play scales / with more precision, am I correct? Normally, playing as close to your chest, like when sitting down, is the best way for your body and your playing as well. But... long strap looks cooler, eh?:-({|=[cool]

Take it easy at the beginning man and see what feels better for your body. Something tells me however that when you had the long strap you were only playing chords and then you shortened it' date=' in order to play scales / with more precision, am I correct? Normally, playing as close to your chest, like when sitting down, is the best way for your body and your playing as well. But... long strap looks cooler, eh?[biggrin'] :-({|=

Long strap was for chords and scales, then I decided to raise it to see how different in terms of accuracy my playing would be, so I raised it...

Sounds to me like all it could be is that you changed the postion of your shoulder and arm....different position would change the way tendons and muscles work....I've been there before ...oh I'm also Stevejoshlay1's doctor lol

Archived