Gibson Brands Forums

Murph Studio ????

cwness

It's far better than I expected. I hand picked it just before Christmas, needed to spend some money on gear, '09 was good for me.....

The neck is thicker than the 339 (30-60), but feels good after a little time. The Wine Red is just a beautiful color, it gets comments the minute you pull it out. A lot of grain shows through.

The pickups (490R/498T) are WAY hotter than the '57's on my 339. They don't blend as well (middle position) as the 339, or my old SG (ceremics) but the 490 by itself gives a great Blues tone with my Mesa. The 498 will (of course) slay dragons.....

All in all I'm VERY happy with it. I went without a Les Paul for 14/15 years and didn't really think about it much until Les (the man) died. I gigged a '72 Recording for well over a decade from Phoenix to Louisiana, to Illinois and just decided it was time to get another.

I didn't really need binding and flame, ect., just wanted a solid bar gigger and that's what it is.

Thanks for asking.

Best to ya.

Murph.

Go for it.

CW

[biggrin]

Before I bought it' date=' I played a couple of squiers locally, to get a Fender-ish feel. It was pretty cool, but then I found out about Gibsons, I read that the necks were substantially thicker, so I was extremely surprised and pleased that the neck was just right! Its perfect, slim enough to get around and thick enough to really dig into.

The 498T pickup just rocks...all the way..any setting

The 490R, I didn't like recently, but I fiddled again, and it sounds pretty good, as Murph said, its a nice bluesy sounding pickup.

The finish Wine Red, is stunning, the wood has these grains that show out black in the finish, and it adds to the textures and apparent depth of the wood. The plaintop is a lot nicer than many I have seen on others like the Classic or the Traditional Pro.

I added a faux binding effect to mu guitar because whilst it looked good without, I found that it looked somehow, unfinished the binding adds a nice boundary. Plus the faux binding makes it unique...

My other mods, are the RS Super Pots and Paper in Oil Cap, which really brightened up the sound substantially, otherwise its all cosmetics...I switch between black hardware and pickup covers and creme hardware, with or without pickguard and no covers between string changes...

[img']http://i631.photobucket.com/albums/uu40/gibsonlespaul1319/DSCN2692.jpg[/img]

and

DSCN2569.jpg

all mods were done myself..

[biggrin]

I added a faux binding effect to mu guitar because whilst it looked good without' date=' I found that it looked somehow, unfinished the binding adds a nice boundary. Plus the faux binding makes it unique...

.[/quote']

What did you use for the "faux binding"?

What did you use for the "faux binding"?

um...

I sanded off the finish' date=' where the binding is supposed to be...

[biggrin

I didn't consider the wood getting dirty now...I'm trying to neaten it up and then look to finish it ( just that part) with something....

Well I'm glad your happy with your Studio's. I love mine too, but I think

I would call mine a Welsh's grape Wine color. Mine's a lot darker then

your 2. I can't see the wood grain like I can on yours but hey I bought

it for the way it plays not looks. The one thing i like about mine the most

would be the PAF's that they used before the put the 490r/498t pups in them.

Threw the Marshall it sounds just like early ZZ crisp and clean. I have the

490/498 in my SG and they are a lot hotter then the PAF. 1319 that faux binding

effect is sweet I must admit. I'm starting to get that effect after 24 years it's

starting in a lot of places to wear the finish off on the neck and where my

arm rests. Hey the things always in tune and plays like butter what more can

you ask for. Thanks for the posts Murph and 1319 and as always ROCKON

IMG_0172.jpg

CW

um...

I sanded off the finish' date=' where the binding is supposed to be...

[biggrin

I didn't consider the wood getting dirty now...I'm trying to neaten it up and then look to finish it ( just that part) with something....

Looks good in the pics, tough to tell from pictures though. I thought about changing my pickup rings to cream, and putting a "binding" of sorts on mine.

DSCN1181.jpg

Looks good in the pics' date=' tough to tell from pictures though. I thought about changing my pickup rings to cream, and putting a "binding" of sorts on mine.

[img']http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s258/puppetshow360/DSCN1181.jpg[/img]

Honestly, consider what I did as a last resort if you really want it...

There are other things you can try, research it, I only know one, which includes using cream 1/4 vinyl tape around the edges..

I have no idea what effects that will have on the finish on that area though...

Look out in the lounge later, I'm going to take some more pics of it and its current hardware combo...

I can't tell if it looks even...

Oh yea, if you do happen to do this be very careful all over...

I sanded the area where your picking arm rest a tad too much and its now slightly bevelled like....

I'll try to get a picture of that later.

Cwness.

Is that ebony?

What year?

I like it......

Yes it is an ebony board. It's an 86 with PAF's pups Ebony with dot inlay and thanks

I must like it too. I've never entertained the idea of getting rid of it.

CW

Archived