Gibson Brands Forums

Aaron Lewis Southern Jumbo ???????

suburude63

I really enjoy these big "in-depth discussions" on here. Seriously, I do. I enjoy hearing everyone's different points of view.. and even more, their reasoning behind them. Quite interesting, overall.

Here's a sample of who "Aaron Lewis" really is .... ENJOY! (and check out that $17K guitar)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have a hard time believing that even a collector is going to pay that much for a guitar like this. I could be wrong and I hope for Gibson's sake I am.

But let's look at the pricing. I went to MusiciansFriend.com and a Gibson Southern Jumbo "True Vintage" sells there for $2' date='889. So that's our base price, I would assume. The basic Aaron Lewis guitar sells for $3,653[/b'], which is $764 over the basic price of the "True Vintage." What have they done to the guitar to add that extra value? I have no clue.

Next on the price scale is the "Aged" Aaron Lewis guitar, which clocks in at $8,598 -- or $4,945 more than the stock Aaron Lewis guitar (and $5,709 more than the "True Vintage" SJ). So you're paying nearly five grand to "age" the guitar. Fine. I know some folks like that look; I have to admit I like the look of a beat-up guitar, too. In fact, I e-mailed the same shop in Nashville that relic'd Lewis' guitar just for the heck of it to see about getting a new Epiphone Texan of mine to look aged; it just looks too darn glossy for the way it sounds, and you know how guitarists can be about how their guitar looks.

The shop wrote me back (quite promptly, I might add) and this was his reply on pricing in its entirety: "Do dull out the guitar only would be 300, 350 for dings n chips, start adding checking that's gonna take it to 500"

So dulling, dings'n'chips (sounds like bar food) and finish checking will cost me $500. Gibson added a zero to that. They have every right to do that if the market will bear it.

But let's say we are a collector with deep pockets or some Wall Street banker trying to figure out where to spend our bonus and we want to get the "aged and signed" Aaron Lewis model. That's going to set us back $17,198. That means Lewis' signature adds $8,600 to the price of the relic'd guitar. Eight thousand, six-hundred dollars. For perspective, here's a paragraph from a February 2009 story on NPR about presidential signatures:

"These days, in terms of the modern presidents, Ronald Reagan and John F. Kennedy command the highest prices. Reagan's signature starts at $750 and a genuine Kennedy is worth $2,500, even if it says simply "happy birthday." The content of the letter can quickly elevate the price."

So Aaron Lewis' signature is worth more than three times that of JFK? In what universe does that make sense?

To reiterate, I have nothing against Aaron Lewis. He may well be very talented. He's sold millions more records than I ever will. And I'm hoping that whomever was at the helm in market research at Gibson knows a lot more than I do, and they figured they could price the guitars accordingly. But I'm just not seein' it. Yeah, I know I'm not the one who needs to be seein' it....

The basic Aaron Lewis guitar sells for $2,800. The $3,653 is the MSRP, not the retail price. Again: http://www.zzounds.com/item--GIBRSAL

Secondly, I think you over estimate the IQ of collectors. There are people out there who will buy anything that is limited edition, which is why Gibson puts out awful looking limited editions all the time. Doesn't matter, dumb people will buy them. You are paying for that more then his signature in the $17,000 one.

I have a hard time believing that even a collector is going to pay that much for a guitar like this. I could be wrong and I hope for Gibson's sake I am.

But let's look at the pricing. I went to MusiciansFriend.com and a Gibson Southern Jumbo "True Vintage" sells there for $2' date='889. So that's our base price, I would assume. The basic Aaron Lewis guitar sells for $3,653, which is $764 over the basic price of the "True Vintage." What have they done to the guitar to add that extra value? I have no clue.

Next on the price scale is the "Aged" Aaron Lewis guitar, which clocks in at $8,598 -- or $4,945 more than the stock Aaron Lewis guitar (and $5,709 more than the "True Vintage" SJ). So you're paying nearly five grand to "age" the guitar. Fine. I know some folks like that look; I have to admit I like the look of a beat-up guitar, too. In fact, I e-mailed the same shop in Nashville that relic'd Lewis' guitar just for the heck of it to see about getting a new Epiphone Texan of mine to look aged; it just looks too darn glossy for the way it sounds, and you know how guitarists can be about how their guitar looks.

The shop wrote me back (quite promptly, I might add) and this was his reply on pricing in its entirety: "Do dull out the guitar only would be 300, 350 for dings n chips, start adding checking that's gonna take it to 500"

So dulling, dings'n'chips (sounds like bar food) and finish checking will cost me $500. Gibson added a zero to that. They have every right to do that if the market will bear it.

But let's say we are a collector with deep pockets or some Wall Street banker trying to figure out where to spend our bonus and we want to get the "aged and signed" Aaron Lewis model. That's going to set us back $17,198. That means Lewis' signature adds $8,600 to the price of the relic'd guitar. Eight thousand, six-hundred dollars. For perspective, here's a paragraph from a February 2009 story on NPR about [i']presidential[/i] signatures:

"These days, in terms of the modern presidents, Ronald Reagan and John F. Kennedy command the highest prices. Reagan's signature starts at $750 and a genuine Kennedy is worth $2,500, even if it says simply "happy birthday." The content of the letter can quickly elevate the price."

So Aaron Lewis' signature is worth more than three times that of JFK? In what universe does that make sense?

To reiterate, I have nothing against Aaron Lewis. He may well be very talented. He's sold millions more records than I ever will. And I'm hoping that whomever was at the helm in market research at Gibson knows a lot more than I do, and they figured they could price the guitars accordingly. But I'm just not seein' it. Yeah, I know I'm not the one who needs to be seein' it....

I agree completely ! No collector would pay $17000 for something that will imediatly lose value ! I repeat this is the stupidest situation I have ever heard of from a guitar company [lol]

Martin had a big hoopla over its intro of the 37 D 18 Authentic $7 or $8 grand retail . you can buy them know for $4000 they are a killer dread I mean really killer! Thats 40% maybe 45% deduct ! I have to say I do not think this SJ is a killer guitar ! Maybe a 49 SJ but not this one ! [biggrin]

Just incredible. I play my 64 County Western a lot. maybe if I start playing it a bit harder and drop it a few times and drag it to the front door it will be worth more. I'm just one of those guys who takes care not to damage my stuff. No wonder I'm broke, lol

This thread is starting to make me slightly embarrassed to be

a member of this forum. I suggest that we focus on something more positive for a change!

Long live Gibson Guitar Co. (especially Gibson Montana!)

There are other threads going on on the forum my friend [cool]

I see you are from Boston ! My home town .

Also I might add the home town of free speach [biggrin]

I see you are from Boston ! My home town .

Also I might add the home town of free speach [cool]

Isn't Aaron Lewis from Boston?? ... uh' date=' I may be wrong ... I [u']may[/u] just be trying to stir the pot a little!!

I just hate to see this thread end up on page 5 of the archives.

I don't know that there's any rule that we just have to discuss "positive" things here. I think a number of us are concerned that Gibson -- whose guitars we love -- has done something that strikes a number of us as misguided or just plain dumb. A company only has so much energy and creativity, and some of us wonder if that energy and creativity couldn't have been better used in some other way. It's ok for us to point that out.

Wikipedia says Lewis was born in Vermont but grew up in Longmeadow, Mass.

I would think a Company would be careful to insure their name was only associated with great musicians, and those also with class.

But I think Gibson also makes a Billie Joe Armstrong Sig model.

And so it goes.

How much extra will it cost to order the $17,000 number with a holectomy ala Willy Nelson's?

The buzz is that Gibson is working on getting the hole placement just right in their high security damage dungeon located in beautiful down town Mule Breath , Mexico.

Moose

P.S. Could be that KS Daddy is their consultant on this important project

I congratulate the Gibson sales crew who have so nobly taken the heat on this idioic

guitar offering as they are laughing themselves sick all the way to the bank. I can only

hope there is no cap on their bonuses under the new banking regulations.

Moose

P.S. To Gibson Co. You can send me one of the $17,000 numbers via my EMail-I promise to tell no one-

not even my Nigerian connection.

I congratulate the Gibson sales crew who have so nobly taken the heat on this idioic

guitar offering as they are laughing themselves sick all the way to the bank. I can only

hope there is no cap on their bonuses under the new banking regulations.

Moose

P.S. To Gibson Co. You can send me one of the $17' date='000 numbers via my EMail-I promise to tell no one-

not even my Nigerian connection.[/quote']

Don't you mean OUR Nigerian connection??

BR

J

Sir Johnt:

To bring you up to date on OUR Nigerian connection and gladden your dear heart, here is the latest touching missive received from the them, to wit:

Greetings and Salutations Mr. Moose:

As Trustees and Barristers probating the estate of the late (name to be furnished upon receipt of your acknowledgment to this notice), we are most pleased to inform you

that presently being held in trust on your behalf, subject to certain required payments being met by you, is a custom Aaron Lewis Southern Jumbo guitar. This marvelous instrument is valued at + $20,000 due to the addition of a Willy Nelson type hole which the Gibson Co. has so artistically had positioned on its top by means of an application of their Custom Department specially trained termites. Please be advised that in their course of training, these specially schooled termites are only allowed to practice their chew on Gibson's rarest woods in preparation for this ultimate aging task. In addition to the guitar, a gold dipped termite from this vaunted aging group shall also accompany the guitar. FURTHER, the sum of $5,000,000 is also on deposit in a special trust account in your name with the Royal Bullpoop Bank of Nigeria awaiting your further requested action to free these sums so they may be promptly dispatched to you. This additional beguest to you was originally meant for the mistress of (name with held ) who met her untimely demise in a violent act of love making ie. hitting the ceiling when the water bed she bounced on produced a miniture tidal wave . We await your urgently requested reply so we may proceed accordingly.

Your Devoted Banker and Servant

(Name withheld by request of Interpol)

Archived