Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone read Vintage Guitar magazine?

ksdaddy

I don't buy it, I don't even think it's carried locally. There's an article in the April issue I'd like to read about Applause guitars. I'd post over on the Ovation forum but I don't have much luck over there.

If anyone has the April 2010 issue please holler to me. I'd either buy it from you or we could come to some sort of arrangement.

I have a very special Applause coming UPS soon and it will be on my site when it gets here. Amazingly I'd bet YOU guys would be more excited about it than anyone on the Ovation forum. Talk about being a pariah! Whew!

Nothing new and exciting I don't think, they just did an article on them. There's not a lot of history on them. I will defend them forever because of their utility bulletproofedness and good tone.

I already have one 'real' Ovation, a US Applause, and a US Academy (odd guitar!) and the one I have coming is the 1000th Applause ever made, with signatures inside of all who had a hand in building it. I think it was finished in August '76.

I had a used Ovation years ago, great guitar that sucked for me.

Knew lotsa people who had them, mine didn't stay around long.

Got my money back, so I was glad to see it go.

About seven years ago, a lady gave me her Asian Applause to restring and check out for her.

She was moving to Central America, decided not to take the guitar and told me to keep it.

I can't really say it was a piece of sh!t, it played okay but half the piezo bridge didn't work.

Some strings were silent when it was plugged in.

I gave it away to another lady who was looking for a beginner guitar.

Didn't know they did American Applause models, but I never really paid much attention to them.

Just not my bag.

ksdaddy, I just looked at VG's website, and they're already pushing the May issue, so that's probably what's on the newstand (yes, I know it's still March, but VG is always about 1.5 months ahead). But, anyway, I've got April if you really want it.

I buy it occassionally. It is a great magazine but once you have seen the same full page ads a dozen times it wears a little thin.

Also there is only one store in Australia that stocks it - you guessed it - Borders.

But wait for it - they charge $19.95 for the magazine.

Way too steep for a magazine that is mostly made up of newsprint.

Archived