Gibson Brands Forums

Favorite shows as a child

MojoRedFoot

Zig...

OMG - Wow!

You still have the cards? That hits me more than the address if it were in the '50s...

BTW, I remember watching Larson's famed no-hitter. I don't think we had a tv yet, but Mom was in a meeting and I was in the hotel lobby outside the banquet/meeting room watching the tv.

Black and white tv, of course, when the Bums were still in Brooklyn.

m

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh man do I remember the old phone in our house.... was "Long Distance" to call over to the next city.... picked up the phone and very often the "party line" would be speaking....so you just had to hang up.... seems like our number was "661", but I can't be sure as I sure as heck never made or received any calls.

I recall as a youngin' I always wanted to stay up and watch "The Naked City"...but was always made to go to bed before it came on.... and I NEVER understood the guy with a hammer and stamp ... they'd make a Roman Numeral "VII" on metal (Mark VII Productions), but I always thought it had to do with Sgt. Friday's badge number, (714).

Zig...

You still have the cards?

No, I had to sell them during a time of unemployment. Got a lot for them though; probably 50 or so signed, starting in the very early '60s.

To name a few:

Nellie Fox

Sandy Koufax

Don Drysdale

Tony Kubek

Tom Tresh

Brooks Robinson (2)

Willie Mays

Bobby Richardson

Frank Robinson

Warren Spahn

Willie Davis

John Roseboro

Juan Marichal

Ron Fairly

A bunch of others...

The Brooklyn Dodgers were just before I became a baseball fan. I remember the days of watching Dizzy Dean and Pee Wee Reese do the games. "And the second sacker comes to the plate... and there's a foul ball... LOOK OUT Pee Wee!... Catch that and it'll feel like a handful 'a bees!..." Great stuff...

Rob... Yeah' date=' earlier in the thread I mentioned "watching" the radio too.

Odd how we did that, eh? Consider we "watched" the radio for baseball games and boxing matches, too. Baseball games also had tickertape feeds. There were radio shows that would add sound effects to a discussion of the tickertape info that sounded as if the game were live. Even a lotta illegal bookie joints had the tickertape. Not that I would have known when I was in my mid teens, of course.

The analog a.m. signal, though, could be heard with a "crystal" radio if you had an earphone. No power required.

Back to the pre-television era at my house... if I needed to call my Dad at work, I'd pick the phone and tell "central," and I quote, "Number 10, please."

Our number at the house, btw, was 258W. Grandpa's house was 32W. No area code, no more number than that. Oh, the cities had stuff like Cherry 5-2345. No area codes yet. <grin> The "central" phone operator running her patch board with 1/4 inch plugs had a cot along the board so we had 24-hour service - but everybody tried not to call after 10 p.m.

Out in the country it was even a bit older technology. The crank upped the voltage to get a ring. You didn't ask somebody what their "number" was, you asked, "What's your ring?" For example, Uncle Charlie was, as I recall, a short, two longs and a short. Everybody else, of course, could listen in to his calls, but with each additional listener, the strength of the voice signal lessened.

Funny thing, a dozen years ago one 10-year-old hadda was at a club building with Grandma, and was supposed to call his Mom. He returned to the meeting and tugged on Grandma's sleeve. He couldn't make the call. Why not? Didn't know how to use a dial phone.

[/quote']

Confession time-- When I started in telecommunications I had to work on all of that stuff. Rotary dial sets, cord boards, magneto sets, party lines etc. The great thing about the old technology was that you could make adjustments and swap out defective parts. Now it is cheaper to replace everything instead of repairing it. No wonder that landfills are getting full!

Dave...

Yeah... My "real" brush in electronics came on the school sailing team the spring of my senior year. I was technically on the sailing team, but I didn't do anything with the boats - just kept the antique tube PA system operating for starts and stuff. It was interesting to say the least, but one of those things that makes the rest of your life a bit more interesting.

I have some real second thoughts about our throwaway society nowadays. For example even our cars. I've gone from being able basically to take one apart and put it back together - assuming a manual tranny and a U.S. version carburator - to having the ability only to change a tire or windshield wiper. Yeah, I could change the oil, etc., but... it's just not the same sorta thing.

I think that's one reason I tend to like guitars and firearms. At least they're the sorta things that have changed very little in most ways since my youth.

OTOH, I'm still running CRT computer monitors that seem to last almost forever as well as flat-screen laptops... I feel more "safe" with the solid state guitar amp in a lotta ways than in days of making certain I had a fuse for the tube amp. <grin> (Yes, there's still one taped inside my old tube amp.)

m

Zig...

OMG - Wow!

You still have the cards? That hits me more than the address if it were in the '50s...

BTW' date=' I remember watching Larson's famed no-hitter. I don't think we had a tv yet, but Mom was in a meeting and I was in the hotel lobby outside the banquet/meeting room watching the tv.

Black and white tv, of course, when the Bums were still in Brooklyn.

m

[/quote']

We had a TV by the time of Larson's great game. Saw It. Did not or never have rooted for the Yanks but a no-hitter is special.

Archived