Gibson Brands Forums

Custom Shop VOS Guitars

STLBlues

I don't really get this argument - If your young and can't afford a nice guitar yet or don't care what it looks like that's fine but why say you wouldn't play a good guitar out in the real world? Hell I have nice cars, I drive them on the real street, My wife wears a 30k diamond ring on her finger and I wear high end watches and have for 20+years why would I leave a good watch at home in the safe and wear a timex just because I might scratch it? As far as theft or someone stealing or robbing me I always figured if you can take it from me trust me you'll have earned it [cool]

Using something doesn't ruin it and if I'm playing a gig somewhere I'm with my stuff so it's not in much more danger than it is sitting at home. I would not gig a $500,000.00 original 1959 but a R9 hell yeah why not.

And yes my main guitars are a R8 and a R9 and they go with me when I play anywhere.

I agree with retro here. Guitars are meant to be played, but obviously it might not be in your best interest to gig with an original burst LP. When I took an appraisal class, there is something called "highest/best use" that basically says any vintage items (cars, furniture, guns, guitars) should still be able to fulfill what they were meant to do, but the owner should keep in mind the item's value is contingent upon condition. A guitar that you can't/won't play is just about as useful as a chair that you can't sit in; sure it is nice to look at, but it should be able to do what it was intended to do.

And...is it an "arguement," or just personal preference(s)? I can (and do) play all my guitars. Some, I don't really

"Gig" with, but it's just a personal decision, based on risk vs. need, more than any (real) "precious" factor. In

reasonably low risk situations, I would "gig" any of them. But, in the higher risk gigs, I just prefer to use guitars,

that I own, that would not be such a financial loss, if damaged or destroyed. Again...just a personal decision.

CB

Archived