Gibson Brands Forums

marshall jcm 900?...i'm disapointed

S t e v e

Well' date=' I was gonna be polite and not comment on this particular passage in the OP.....

:D

Just sharing my insight from my limited experience with Marshalls over the years.

Including the JCM 800 I have, but rarely play - because it really ain't my cup of tea.

If Line 6 is your idea of tone heaven then, by all means, keep playing!

(You won't have to worry about me hanging around and bugging you.....)

:D/

let me clarify, a line 6 spider is in no way widely considered to be tone heaven but thats the best way to describe it compared with the tone i got from the marshall lastnight...

maybe it was my ears...i did have a few cans before i got there :- [thumbup]

the last time i played through it i used my ibanez jem and got the tone i craved so i had high hopes of the gibson/marshall set up...the clean ch was ok but the overdriven ch was pretty bad!

I think this pretty much eliminates the Marshall if it sounded good with the jem.

CW

No, I'm just messing with ya Steve...

But the big Marshalls are indeed beasts, and they take some getting used to - good or bad.

I've always thought that much of the problem is perception.

They're just so damned loud, and you're right next to them, everything really does sound different that way.

They aren't for everybody, and their biggest advocates will tell you they aren't for everyday use.

Good avice here on SMALLER tube amps, everybody has to hear it (and feel it) for themselves.

I did.

I think this pretty much eliminates the Marshall if it sounded good with the jem.

CW

mind you that was about 8 months ago (with the jem) that we rehersed there' date=' the amp must of been used and abused over the yrs but then what do you want for £10 an hour! [thumbup, shoulda mentioned that my mate played his fender jaguar through it also and was happy either...:D

mind you that was about 8 months ago (with the jem) that we rehersed there' date=' the amp must of been used and abused over the yrs but then what do you want for £10 an hour! [biggrin'], shoulda mentioned that my mate played his fender jaguar through it also and was happy either...[thumbup]

Was your mate happy or not I'm taking you meant wasn't happy either.

Then it that's the case it needs tubes. You can tell right away when it happens.

I just retubed all my Marshall and I'm back in Marshall Bliss. I have a Solid State

amp also a Fender Power chorus. I only use it for clean. If you heard the overdrive

from that amp you would be sick. It's bad but the clean is to die from Fender reverb

and Stereo chorus 65watts and channel.

CW

If you read what I had in quotes it said in tone heaven with a solid state line 6. That what I asked

if he was joking about. Second going from the over driven line 6 to the Marshall you have to

get the pick working. You can't play the 2 the same. Has any thought that he just has a dead

sounding LP.

CW

that must be the worst thing anyone can say to you "you got a duff gibson" [crying] iv'e never been so insulted in all my life! [crying]

only kidding! [biggrin]

i never had any sound issues with amps iv'e used in the past' date=' thats why i posted it up on here...just to get your guys thoughts on the issue and to see if anyone else have sound issues with the jcm 900? as SHO has [cool

I wasn't trying to be mean just honest to find out whats going on. Now that

you've post more info I think we can rule the duff lp out. LOL

You do have to pick differently. I turn the volume on my guitar down when I'm practicing

with my little amp and the rockman. It simulates playing the Marshall so

when I do go back a play it I don't take so long to get up to speed each time.

Tubes I say if it was 8 months and it's played a lot.

CW

Archived