Gibson Brands Forums

Fiddle Question

TommyK

Are fiddle / violin strings supposed to glide over the bridge or just dig a trench in the raw wood?

Funnily enough, I asked our fiddler last night why his bridge had plastic inserts for the top two strings last night, and he said to keep them from digging in. And I asked why not the bottom two, and he said the tension isn't as much. That seemed a weird answer though. I would guess it's because they're thicker and less likely to gorge the bridge.

I would guess it's because they're thicker and less likely to gorge the bridge.

Bingo. The G and D strings have a little more mass (and maybe a little less tension, I don't really know) so they aren't as likely to gouge.

The spacing is quite critical and there are charts with 'standard' string spacing for the various sizes. I adhere to that pretty strictly.

Some folks use the little pieces of rubber tubing to keep the stings from gouging. The probably have some effect on tone too. Some bridges have an ebony insert where the e string rides. That makes a huge difference.

Edit: I either use a tiny needle file to shape the slots (notches would be more accurate) and I have, in a hurry, used a nice new X-acto blade. Not according to Hoyle but quick and effective.

My daughters (3/4) bridge is slightly notched. I noticed none of her strings have the tubing, but my wifes does on the E, and the A.

I don't play them, but I do GET to tune them a lot.....

[lol]

So do the strings slide in the slots or does it pull the bridge forward when you tune?

Reason I ask I have my eye on a couple fiddles that are coming up for sale and may get one if the price is right. One is complete, but with a cracked top and no bow. The other has a good top and a bow, but no tail piece or bridge and one missing tuner peg. I was just assessing how much work was needed to get each one up and running and was curious about the bridges, since they are different than the guitar saddle.

I wanted to have one just... because. maybe someday I'll learn to play it too. If the price is right, now is the time to buy.

I just got back into playing blues fiddle after about a twenty year hiatus. Picked up a turn of the century Lewis & Sons violin with a poorly repaired crack in the top and a very cool mahogany coffin case on the cheap. The bow that came with it sucks but I know a good bow maker who is going to fix me up proper.

Although I played for a whole lotta years, I do not recall having a whole lot of trouble with the strings cutting into the bridge. But that may be because I shaved my bridge flatter to make it easier to play double stops. I guess the strings do not dig into it as as much as on a properly arched bridge.

I have 3 fiddles. The one without an ebony insert on the bridge for the high e string has had problems - the e is an 0.010 and I string with steel for Old Time tune playing- it eats right through the bridge as the bow energizes it all the time and its like a little buzz saw. I wind up jamming little bits of wood in there, waiting for the day I will change it for a bridge with an ebony insert.

Archived