Gibson Brands Forums

Mic questions - share your secrets?

tw2_usa

I'm slowing gathering equipment to start doing some home recording. Am curious if any of you have a 'go to' set up for recording you guitar. If so, care to share you secrets?

Please tell mic type (condenser, large or small, dynamic etc.) and placement tips and which Gibson you're using them on. Would be a big help. Thanks

The only recording I do at home is for demos so I often just plug in to the pickup on my acoustic (Baggs M1 active in a couple of them, Fishman or Headway in others), or I use a Shure SM 57 which is a good all round instrument microphone. In the studio I have been using a Neumann U67 recently. I have it placed roughly over the soundhole. When tracking parts I use a single microphone. Alternatively a second microphone (sorry I can't remember what we were using) is placed opposite the 12th fret. When recording my mandolin in the studio I also have been using a U67, and also a PZM microphone placed on the floor.

Oh . . . you asked which Gibson as well. Predominantly a J-45. Been using a 1965 J-45 and a 1966 one two. They both sound very different. Also been using a Martin D-28 and a Collings C10.

Now, just to complicate things, I have to say that I really don't like the SM57 on acoustic guitars - including my J-45. In a hurry, I will use a Sennheiser MD-421 about six inches in front of the sound hole - for fingerpicking - or my large-diaphragm condenser for strumming.

Ideally, I use four mics at once and mix them separately. The large diaphragm condenser in front, a pencil condenser at the fretboard, and two cheap dynamic mics over my shoulders, about four feet above the guitar. They balance out the crispness a bit.

This is my go to mic. A Shure SM-27 Condenser. A fantastic mic. It has been a pleasant surprise.

Is that a valve microphone? I looked at the link, didn't see any mention of valves, but I could have missed it.

Uh' date=' no, it's a condenser microphone. I mic my guitar with it. [blink']

Sorry . . . that was a typo. I meant to say valve MICROPHONE. (I've corrected it in the original post now)

Sorry . . . that was a typo. I meant to say valve MICROPHONE. (I've corrected it in the original post now)

I'm not sure. I do know that it has a large Mylar diaphram. It REALLY has wonderful sound and tone reproduction with the durability of the classic SM58. I use it recording and on stage live. You ask "How can my Gibson sound any better?" Answer: Play it through an SM27!!!

Archived