Gibson Brands Forums

J45 ID Year

william westbrook

I have had a J45 since the late 60s. Serial number is 055304 and it's marked "2". There are no flaws from the factory except the stain did not take up on a small place on the neck near where it meets the body. Neck is straight and tone is fantastic. I added Grover tuners and and replaced the adjustable bridge with a fixed rosewood bridge. I don't know if I still have the original bridge and tuners. There is a long scratch through the finish on the back. The front, sides, and back have minor wear but nothing that detracts from looks of playability. I was wonder the year and possible value? Bill - Tampa

It probably would have at one time but I see less of a difference in price nowadays. 25 years ago when 60s Gibsons could be had easily for $500 or less, people were a little more picky. Now that clean original 60s Gibsons have risen in price as much as they have, the guitars seem to be less stigmatized by a stamped digit.

And stigma is all that it is. Most any flaw that would make it a factory second would most likely be negated by the first honest scratch anyway.

It probably would have at one time but I see less of a difference in price nowadays. 25 years ago when 60s Gibsons could be had easily for $500 or less' date=' people were a little more picky. Now that clean original 60s Gibsons have risen in price as much as they have, the guitars seem to be less stigmatized by a stamped digit.

And stigma is all that it is. Most any flaw that would make it a factory second would most likely be negated by the first honest scratch anyway.[/quote']

As long as the "second" status wasn't because the bridge was miss-placed!

Yep. Sometimes a guitar is monkeyed up in good shape. Sometimes they were 'impossible' guitars made with a neck here, a body there.... I'm exaggerating but some frankensteins were made. Sometimes if a guitar had more than a minor cosmetic flaw or if it were one of the frankensteins, they were sold in-house to employees. Those were mostly stamped "BGN" which I was always led to believe stood for "bargain". They show up on ebay sometimes.

I wish I knew what the ratio of "A grade" to "2nd" was on the Mark Series in the 70s. Seems like they run about 1:1.

Yep. Sometimes a guitar is monkeyed up in good shape. Sometimes they were 'impossible' guitars made with a neck here' date=' a body there.... I'm exaggerating but some frankensteins were made. Sometimes if a guitar had more than a minor cosmetic flaw or if it were one of the frankensteins, they were sold in-house to employees. Those were mostly stamped "BGN" which I was always led to believe stood for "bargain". They show up on ebay sometimes.

I wish I knew what the ratio of "A grade" to "2nd" was on the Mark Series in the 70s. Seems like they run about 1:1.[/quote']

Good information...I'll remember that...."BGN" are to stay away from!

Archived