Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Hummingbird Pro

MimingMinds

Hey guys, I'm new here so first off - Hello!

I just bought a gibson hummingbird pro from guitar center today. I love it. I had a Songbird Deluxe a while back but sold it because of some monetary problems. Since then, I've been playing an Epiphone Masterbilt AJ-500RE. I have to say, this gibson blows that out of the water.

The tone is beautiful and warm with just the right jangle of highs to make me tingle. When I play open chords, it shakes me wonderfully, through the body and strap. It's fantastic.

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this model. And besides that, i was wondering how i should take care of it beyond the obvious - I already have a humidifier in the case and am being very careful not to dent it up. But for the finish, should i be wiping it down after I play every time? And if so, with what? A towel, a cotton cloth, a glasses cleaner cloth, or paper towel?

Hi again to all you guys. This guitar rawks, plain and simple. I'm an eighteen year old kid who saved up a long time to get this and it was all worth it.

hey jersey,

i've been playing 20 years , and have some real gems .

use http://www.beafifer.com/boredoctor.htm on the board when you change the strings.

and use http://www.virtuosopolish.com/ for the finish

dont use anything else , definatly not windex .

paper towel will scratch your finish and leave fine swirl marks . use a high quality microfiber rag like this one http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/product_detail.asp?T1=MEG+X2010

you said you have a humidifier . other than that play that guitar as often as possible because that's what it's ment for.

Welcome to the forum MimingMinds,

I have played several of the Hummingbird pros and they are pretty sweet guitars. I think you'll be happy with your choice.

I wipe my guitars down after playing with a dry guitar polish cloth. (I use one that has never has polish on it) You can pick the polish cloths up at any guitar shop.

There is a book titled, Acoustic Guitar Owners Manual: The Complete Guide. by Hal Leonard publishing that has lots of good information on care, set up, and basic maintenance for your guitar. Guitar Center might have it but Amazon.com definitely does.

Congratulations, sounds like a great guitar.

You made a great choice and a big investment. You are asking all the right questions. I recommend the book: "Acoustic Guitar Owners Manual" by Acoustic Guitar Magazine. It's $12 from Amazon and is full of useful tips on short and long term maintenance.

One really important thing is to learn how to care for the laquer finish; I think this is the best finish but it does have quirks that can cause irreversible damage if you are not careful with it.

In the meantime I recommend Dunlop 65 sold at GC and a good microfiber cloth (Planet waves makes a good one). Oh finally I recommend a Caliber III digital hydrometer they are very accurate (Planet Waves model not so). Get one for inside your case and one for outside the case. Try to keep the guitar case between 40 - 60 % RH (ideally 45%) and store the guitar in the case when not in use.

That's all for now...

It would be great to see your guitar if you have any pics.

All the advice above is good.

No need to go over the top on cleaning your guitar. As long as you treat it with reasonable care it will serve you well.

A wipe down before puting her away in the case is a must.

I use the 3/$1 yellow, flannel like cloths you can get at the dollar store. They used to sell for 3 for a buck. Might be 2 for a buck by now.

618234.jpg

Thanks guys! I found a cotton cloth in my house and have been using that. This guitar sounds beautiful, like I said before. Generally I don't find myself partial to mahogany, but more towards the deeper bass of rosewood. But this guitar just hits the spot.

Welcome to the Forum / A lot of good people here with good advice / one place for some good advice is: frets.com / enjoy that Hummingbird, She will do you good for years to come / I have a '63' Custom Hummingbird and have enjoyed it for years. And have never looked back. The Older She Gets the Sweeter the Music - "Enjoy" [biggrin]

Archived