Gibson Brands Forums

Historic vs True Vintage,The same?

torca

Looking at a Historic J-200 which precedes the True Vintage moniker.Are these the same guitars,the exception being the modern classics.Looking at it the only thing different might be tuners,gold Kluson vs Gotoh.Any input appreciated.

Thanks Todd

Looking at a Historic J-200 which precedes the True Vintage moniker.Are these the same guitars?

It varies, Todd. In some instances, the 'historic' is now a 'modern classic' (J45). In some cases, the 'historic' is 'TV' (J185). I dont pay as much attention to j200s and 'Birds, but I'd expect further confusion. The Gibson marketing department--it's faaaaaaantasitc!

Looking at a Historic J-200 which precedes the True Vintage moniker.Are these the same guitars' date='the exception being the modern classics.Looking at it the only thing different might be tuners,gold Kluson vs Gotoh.Any input appreciated.[/quote']

No, they are not the same. But that's all I'm saying!

-- Bob R

I know I'll probably start something here that I'll regret, but every time someone starts a thread asking if a certain model is the "same" as it's True Vintage counterpart, I can't help but think that what they are really wishing and hoping for is that everyone will back up their belief that it is. By doing so, they can justify not going out and spending more money on a True Vintage model, when the one they have is "just like a True Vintage" model anyway.

No matter which model it is, the True Vintage model will be different. That doesn't necessarily mean it's better or worse than it's previous model counterpart. Many people feel the TV models are better, some don't. But the bottom line is, there have been changes made in the TV line which make them distinctive.

The TV line offers pure acoustic (no electronics) versions (not copies) of select 40's-50s-60's models. They are reputedly more lightly braced, hence more responsive (on average) than MCs. Consensus has it the TVs sound great, tho opinion varies on whether or not its really a vintage sound as the name implies (different bracing patterns). The MCs have pickups, offer more model variations skimp (some) on the eye candy (after all, its a Gibson, not a Martin). Go to Gibson's web site and listen to the MC TV audio samples for the SJ200. JK

Archived