Gibson Brands Forums

Down-tune your guitars???? Pluses and Minuses???

onewilyfool

I've done a drop "D" once in a while, but never down-tuned the whole guitar. Does it hurt the neck? Do you need a new set up? Do you need to change strings? I know some great artists have done it, McCartney did it on his Epiphone, others, but really know nothing about it....complete newbie here....any advice is welcome.

There are many 12 string players who tune down (a step?) & play with a capo on the 1st fret. Supposedly easier fretting (and cheaper than going out & buying a short-scale 12 string).

I would be more concerned about alternate tunings that have you tune a string or two up rather than any concerns about tuning down. But that would mostly be wrt string life. The difference in string tension is probably negligible when looking at the overall tension on the neck.

What would be a bigger pain in the neck (sorry) for your guitar would seemingly be the practice of cutting all of the strings at once in order to do a speedy string change. I've read that a set of light gauge acoustic strings exert a force upwards of 160 lbs on the neck. If you could theoretically hold the guitar headstock- up, run a .19" (sum of string set) cable past the end of the body, and attach, say three small car batteries. Leave in place for a week or two. Now, cut that cable. That couldn't be good for a guitar neck.[cool]

There are many 12 string players who tune down (a step?) & play with a capo on the 1st fret. Supposedly easier fretting (and cheaper than going out & buying a short-scale 12 string).

I would be more concerned about alternate tunings that have you tune a string or two up rather than any concerns about tuning down. But that would mostly be wrt string life. The difference in string tension is probably negligible when looking at the overall tension on the neck.

What would be a bigger pain in the neck (sorry) for your guitar would seemingly be the practice of cutting all of the strings at once in order to do a speedy string change. I've read that a set of light gauge acoustic strings exert a force upwards of 160 lbs on the neck. If you could theoretically hold the guitar headstock- up' date=' run a .19" (sum of string set) cable past the end of the body, and attach, say three small car batteries. Leave in place for a week or two. Now, cut that cable. [i']That[/i] couldn't be good for a guitar neck.:-k

****in A Mutha ****a! guys trippin over some tuning tension. smash that guitar you have.

I don't think alternate tunings harm a good quality guitar at all. There is no law that says standard tuning EBGDAE is normal. For example as far as I know Joni Mitchell has only ever recorded ONE song with the guitar tuned that way.

Also as far as 12 string guitars go there is a myth that they 'should' be tuned down a step but I find that my J-185 12 plays fine tuned to concert pitch.

There is a lot of tension on the neck of a guitar, but good guitars are designed and built to withstand that tension, just like the wing of a military jet is built to withstand excessive g forces.

Archived