Gibson Brands Forums

oil disaster for n00bs

If you guys are like me, and you didnt understand what exactly was happening with the gulf oil disaster, here is a video that explains it in "layman's terms"

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

I hope that we can solve this problem ASAP, it seems that turning a giant shutoff valve would stop the flow of oil, but they have been unsucsessful?!?!?!

Thanks, Jesse. Thread title scared'em all away.

Why no interviews with the 100 surviving workers? Why no news folk raising hell for an interview? Why no government "officials" hollering for such?

Why no Neo, asking these questions before me?

If you guys are like me' date=' and you didnt understand what exactly was happening with the gulf oil disaster, here is a video that explains it in "layman's terms"

[YOUTUBE']

[/YOUTUBE]

I hope that we can solve this problem ASAP, it seems that turning a giant shutoff valve would stop the flow of oil, but they have been unsucsessful?!?!?!

Shut off valves are great things... unless they've been blown off or blowed apart. Currently it is probably the pressure head of the underground oil and gas causing the spewage. NY City has a valve problem on their water mains. Seems that decades ago when these big old valves were installed, the instructions were to 'exercise' the valves on a regular basis. Just close them off then open them back up. That simple. Probably some lubrication too. Trouble is NYC either couldn't be bothered with that chore or plumb forgot about it. Now they have valves that won't close for love nor money as they've rusted in place. If and when they have a major main break, get out the swim trunks.

i dont think that there are questions to be answered really' date=' mistakes happen and now we gotta clean up our mess

[/quote']

[cool] Are you kidding? If I have a can of water based house paint in my yard, the county is sending me a letter about how I better get rid of that can of paint before I spill it and it contaminates the Ground Water.

Now, I have to answer for my old paint can, but the Oil Companies can destroy ecosystems without answering one question about possible break downs in proper procedure? I reiterate, Are You Kidding?

My point is, it is just not like the news forces of either country not to be all over, "those who were there" for some sensationalisim. Larry King, Hannity, George, Chris; where are they with interviews, questions and the like?

[biggrin] Are you kidding? If I have a can of water based house paint in my yard' date=' the county is sending me a letter about how I better get rid of that can of paint before I spill it and it contaminates the Ground Water.

Now, I have to answer for my old paint can, but the Oil Companies can destroy ecosystems without answering one question about possible break downs in proper procedure? I reiterate, Are You Kidding?[/quote']

Im not kidding, first we gotta clean up the mess, the oil companies will have to pay dearly, and should, but we gotta stop the leak first.

I am not saying that the are no questions to be answered, I was implying that right now is the time for action, repair, and rescue, not playing the blame game, the blame game comes after the disaster is over

I am not saying that the are no questions to be answered' date=' I was implying that right now is the time for action, repair, and rescue, not playing the blame game, the blame game comes after the disaster is over[/quote']

Understood, Jessenoah. It's not real answers I'm looking for now either. But, it blows me away that no reporter has cornered someone who was there and just asked, "Hey, what the hell happened out there?" Where are these guys as in, silenced. [biggrin]

Im not kidding' date=' first we gotta clean up the mess, the oil companies will have to pay dearly, and should, but we gotta stop the leak first.

I am not saying that the are no questions to be answered, I was implying that right now is the time for action, repair, and rescue, not playing the blame game, the blame game comes after the disaster is over[/quote']

OK, I'll totally agree with first things first. As long as someone or something is changed after this. I don't care if it's safety procedures or the people who didn't follow them, as long as what went wrong is identified and the scenario never allowed to repeat itself. Treat it like Three Mile Island.

Archived