Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson SJ300 players

deguitar

Hello

This is my first post on Gibson forum and would like to welcome everyone here.

I have a chanche to buy a used Gibson SJ300 custom built in 2007 soo would like to know if some one here has this model or has played one.

Just would like to know the difference with standard (maple) built J200 and this one wich is built with rosewood back and sides and has a mahagony neck.

Is there somethings I should to be careful about when purchasing Super jumbo guitars

Thanks for any informations.

... the maple for strumming but the rosewood if great if your tastes run to the lower ranges.

+1

There was a "sub-discussion" about this model on a thread a while back, concluding the J-200 Custom Rosewod and the J-300 are almost exactly the same, but the J-300 Rosewood is much less expensive.

Howdy! Welcome to the jungle! I have an SJ200 Western Classic that is much like the 300 you're considering. Rosewood back/side, ebony board and bridge....the difference, besides the "bling", is the maple neck on mine and the mahogany neck on the SJ300. A negligible difference for most purposes.

The rosewood jumbo body is powerful and a bit dark, without the jangle of a maple bodied model. For flailing away, perhaps the maple does sound less muddy.......it has more clarity than rosewood for loud chord strumming. But, like everything else in guitar-dom, it's all subjective.

There's really nothing different about jumbo bodies as far as "being careful" when inspecting/purchasing one. Just confirm that everything is as it should be, as you should when evaluating any other guitar.

I love the WC/300/200 Custom Rosewood.

They're a very different beast to the Maple SJ200, but, for some uses, a better choice. These guitars sound HUGE and very rich...massive playing dynamics are extricable from them, and they are, to my ears and hands, a very rewarding play.

Let us know how you get on...welcome to the forum!

I have an SJ200 Western Classic

The rosewood jumbo body is powerful and a bit dark' date=' without the jangle of a maple bodied model.

[/quote']

Have you ever considered refinishing the WC to a gold bullion color ?

The old saying "color begets tone" seems to suggest your best bet might be going gold.

Just tryin' to help...[cool]

Archived