Gibson Brands Forums

5 Years was too long

cwness

i just got my Studio back for my bud I jam with. Couple of weeks ago

we were working on Jessica and he was playing it and said it needed some

work. He's one of the best luither's in the area so I said go ahead take it

with you.

I have been doing the set up's and thought it was playing great. Little didI know.

He leveled and crowned the frets, did a neck adjustment and the rest needed

for a setup.

It's plays like a dream. He said that the frets were worn and needed leveling

bad. I couldn't tell and he said unless you have bad fret buzz you wouldn't

now. The strings are barely off the frets. It's now super fast and the notes

just ring out.

He now has my 2 PRS's and when he's done with those he gets the SG and

Standard.

I can honestly say I thought it was good now it's the way it should be.

The lesson learned. You can't tell if the frets are right they have to be checked.

Oh and don't wait 5 years

CW

........You don't need a fret rocker......you get a straight edge and put it on the neck.......you use about a 6 inck one though as the neck is apt to have some bow......but at 6 inches as you slide it up or down the neck and check how all the frets are in relation to each other.......you will be able to tell when you have a high one ........and thus hit it with a hammer ....J/K...............take it to a proffesional.

I have been doing the set up's and thought it was playing great. Little didI know.

CW

Man... I know what you mean.... I gave my DIF to my luthier-friend to set up and I was AMAZED at the difference....I thought it played pretty well, but WOW...

Let him repair some body cracks on my Jubilee, and do a set up... I couldn't tell as much difference between before and after, (with the exception of the body crack repairs), but it does play nicer.

Makes you wanna play your studio more, don't it?

......you will be able to tell when you have a high one ........and thus hit it with a hammer ....

LOL!!! Very funny indeed!

I needed a nut replaced on an LP and took it to my local luthier. I was slightly concerned about how good a job they would do but anyway I thought they deserved a chance. I like using local dealers when I can.

He spent quite some time on the repair and set-up and when it came back it played like a dream!

Use the Pro's!

Archived