Gibson Brands Forums

Extended plane flights and my lower back

duane v

[biggrin]

I was flying home from RDU on Friday, and the weather coming into Houston was pretty crazy, which caused the flight to be diverted to San Antonio for refueling and back to trying to land at Houston which was quite eventful.

Anywhoo, my lower back has big time trouble when I sit in a plane for more than 8 hours[confused] .... And today I cant find anything to stop the pain.... Do any of you have issues with flying and back pain???

[biggrin]

I was flying home from RDU on Friday' date=' and the weather coming into Houston was pretty crazy, which caused the flight to be diverted to San Antonio for refueling and back to trying to land at Houston which was quite eventful.

Anywhoo, my lower back has big time trouble when I sit in a plane for more than 8 hours[confused'] .... And today I cant find anything to stop the pain.... Do any of you have issues with flying and back pain???

I have many problems with my back, and find the most effective relief comes from using a cold pack. That assumes the pain is caused by inflamation (which mine usually is.) If it's muscular, alternating heat and cold (30 min. hot, 30 min nothing, then 30 min cold - repeat as needed) works well for me.

Good luck!

I have many problems with my back' date=' and find the most effective relief comes from using a cold pack. That assumes the pain is caused by inflamation (which mine usually is.) If it's muscular, alternating heat and cold (30 min. hot, 30 min nothing, then 30 min cold - repeat as needed) works well for me.

Good luck![/quote']

It's joint inflammation[crying]

Everything can be going great for months, but it just takes one uncomfortable plane flight and here comes the pain. I went for a morning walk, and took my daughter to her pitching lesson in hopes it would stretch things out, but it made it worse[angry]

Back pain is a real downer. Like you, I only get it occasionally - usually as a result of lifting something heavy the wrong way - usually an amp.

I have treated it with a product called Voltaren which is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory.

http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv2/bhcmed.nsf/pages/nvcvltal/$File/nvcvltal.pdf

Most of the time, I just need to take one pill and the pain goes away.

If you do not have Voltaren in the US, maybe you could print the above and show it to a pharmacist who will know the local equivalent.

In Australia, it is non-prescription.

RN

duane v , It really depends on the type of problem with your back. I know, from my own major back problems. The first thing to try are the nsaid's.

most pain is caused from inflamation. In the first few days, 2-3 at best, laying down flat on a firm surface is helpful. This does not have to be complete

bed rest, but an hour hear and there,can make a difference. When sitting, again on a firm chair, sit all the way back in the chair.As to get your back

streight. Most likely cold packs will help you the best. 20-30 minutes at a time. If these things don't help, than you need to go to the Doctor, for

pain relieve with different meds. They can prescibe steroids that are used on a short term basis. one week. they can be helpful. I've tryed

them. As far as long plane rides, I have taken a lot of them in the last 7-8 years. get up and move around for 20 minutes every 1:30-2:00 hours. If

your asked to sit down , tell them you have a bad back,and you have to stand up. works for me. You might try putting some pillows behind your back.

Hope this helps.

I used to have back pain due to scoliosis. Working out with weights, doing core strengthening exercises, and stretching helped a ton.

Two items of advice.

1. Move. One of the worst things you can do for back pain is just lay around. It will prolong the pain.

2. I like capsaicin patches for muscle pain. My favorite salonpas. You can get them at your corner drug store.

Hope you feel better.

Archived