Gibson Brands Forums

CF 100 e

Hoss

Anyone have one of these little cut-a-way Gibsons? I've never played/seen one. I understand they were X braced and basically an LG-2.

If you have played one, I'd like to hear what you thought of the experience!

Apparently they have electronic and non-electronic versions. I played one next to an LG at Schoenberg's guitars in Tiberon, the CF 100 sounded better in my opinion than the LG!!! Even with the cutaway...Nice, I was gassing for one for a while, they are making them new also, BUT, the old one just had the mojo and sound. Leon Redbone plays one:

Here is the Re-issue model, Cheaper, but still pretty pricey. I think I talked to this guy, and he can do better on price than what is shown....

http://www.lamusiccustomguitars.com/CF100E-p/cf100e.htm

I found tons of info when I was researching, (including that Jackson Brown has 4 of them) And,....I have seen used ones of them priced as high as $5000. They originally Priced at $180..........were made from 1951 thru 1959..........total made 1257 .......241 in1951......250 in 1952. The Price Guide raised the value by $700 in just the last year alone. Highly active investment.

That is why I dropped out of the search....lol

I played one of the re-issues at the Villa few years back, but did not plug in. The one I played sounded a little dead, at least as compared to the LG-3 I was playing that day as well.

Jackson Browne sure likes them...he seems to always have a few with him.

Hi Hoss, I have two: a 51 and a 55. My 51 I've owned for many years and is my all time favorite acoustic. I guess it's subjective as to what players look for. I've played Martin 28's and 35's and prefer my CF100-E. Again it's a subjective thing. I love the thin neck and cutaway. I play mine nearly everyday acoustic. I perform as a soloist with it plugged into a PA. The near mint 55 I acquired last year is for sale for 4K.

Joe-

Talk to me about the neck profile. Very Low? What is the nut width?

I've learned to 'just say no' to narrow necks. There are too many other options out there that are more comfortable!

I'd say very low profile.

Top Wood Spruce

Back and Sides Mahogany

Braxing X Pattern

Scale Length 24 3/4”

Body Style Gibson LG

Body Width 14 3/8"

Body Length 19”

Body Depth 4 1/2”

Nut Width 1 11/16"

Overall Length 40”

I was fortunate to have bought this '57 off of Ebay a few years ago. After tweaking it a bit, I must say it is my 'go to' acoustic these days.

[img483662298AffEmX_th.jpg][/img]

Very nice dry,woody tone. Well-balanced,loud and probably the sexiest acoustic that Gibson ever produced. Just like an LG2 with a cutaway. The '57 has a nice full neck...not thin...not chunky. This baby shows a LOT of playwear...and for good reason. It actually sounds great in electric mode too.

• 5 months later...

Hey Vintageguy,

Welcome to the forum! I have not been posting or checking the ol' Gibson Forum much lately. But I saw this thread as I logged on today. I don,t change my strings often(I like them better after the 'newness' wears off). I believe I am using 12-52 or 12-53 in a phospher/bronze on the CF100E. I use standard acoustic light or med. light set. Not particular about brand...D'Addario, Ernie Ball or Gibson brand all do well. It is really a personal and subjective choice as I always end up sounding like me anyway....no matter which I use!

RetroRod

Hey Vintageguy, I got inspired today and pulled out the '57 CF100E. The strings (D'Addario) were quite tarnished and dull sounding...probably a year or more old. I cleaned her up and put on a fresh set of D'Addarrio EJ16 light .012-.053 on her and ...jeesh! I must say, after they settled in for a couple of hours, they sounded like a million bucks on the ol' Gibby. My guitar has been played to death and could benefit from a fret job(deep grooves in the cowboy chord area) and in need of some dressing, but overall a great sounding and playing guitar. What did you end up getting? Rod

Vintageguy is GONE! Neber to retune again....Lawd! Lawd!

Jes-Sayin'....RRod

Just watched the trailer for a new movie to be released in Jan 2011 called "Country Strong" in which a CF-100E is played often by Gwyneth Paltrow.

Tim McGraw is in the movie also and I wonder if that's his guitar. He is seen in his video Southern Voice http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DXSq0atJ74

Vintageguy is GONE! Neber to retune again....Lawd! Lawd!

Jes-Sayin'....RRod

Just watched the trailer for a new movie to be released in Jan 2011 called "Country Strong" in which a CF-100E is played often by Gwyneth Paltrow. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xi-T8_2kt-8

I wonder if that guitar belongs to Tim McGraw who is seen in his "Southern Voice" video playing one.

He too is in the movie.

At the most, Tim Mcgraw is 'posing' with one! And Gwyneth looks good playing anything_ :rolleyes: .... Especially a set of strings stretched over a bathtub... :o

Danner, that is a steep price for a reissue. I would think you could pick up a beater original for that kind of Kachingy! Hell, I'd sell ya my '57 for that much....but I'm afraid I would regret it for the rest of my natural-born life! Been an awe-inspiring guitar ever since I bought 'er ten or twelve years ago. I got LUCKY! When you buy, sound and playability unseen, you take your chances. Sexy Guitar, Sexy P-90, And 40+ year old wood, You just can,t go wrong..In MY Humble Opinion,

RRod

JOESTONE- Enjoyed the trailer clip to 'Country Strong'. Looks like a must see for me....Enter 2011....WOW!!

Archived