Gibson Brands Forums

El84 Tubes

Josh James

So, I replaced all my power tubes in my Crate v3112 USA Model. I could not find any matched quads though, of anything! I got a matched set of Groove Tube EL84 - 6 rating and then a TAD and a JJ. I was told that they do not have to all be the same brand, is this true? I know Groove tubes are the only one's with a clip rating, so that is weird, I just don't want to blow up my amp! I have read all over the net that this amp is auto biased and a class a, therefore no taking it to the Amp Tech.

I did fire it up and it had a weird smell that I had not noticed before I changed the tubes and when I turned on my pedals, it would start to fade in and out. Then I turned it off because I was scared something bad was going to happen. I then restarted it and let it warm up for 5 minutes or so, and it seemed to be ok... I dunno? Any thoughts?

Thanks,

J

So, mixing and matching tube brands should not be a problem then? Next time I'm taking ya'll's suggestion and just ordering up a quad so I can have a matched set. You would think with all the damn tube amp's out there that tubes wouldn't be so hard to find in any major city...meh

J

Archived