Gibson Brands Forums

B25 Custom (2007) saddle replacement - wasted job?

APe

This is a custom shop made B-25 AN for Japanese market. You can find it advertised on several Japanese music shop sites, for example http://1484.bz/c/91641/ got some nice photos. My friend bought it from Gibson Showcase in Nashville 2009 but did not get any information besides the manufacturing year 2007. This is confirmed by serial no 01797028. Was this particular guitar just some ”left over” from an export lot, who knows? Anyway I am happy it is now in my hands. It is light, bluesy, nicely responding small guitar.

After some google research Ive found lot of discussion about replacing the adjustable ceramic saddle together with the plastic brigde in order to get better tone and response out from those authentic 1970´s B25´s. I can well understand this.

However my 2007 custom shop model got beautiful rosewood brigde (must be glued on top) but the adj saddle seems to be identical to those from 1970´s. Now the question remains, how much from this said tonal improvement comes from replacing the plastic brigde and how much from replacing the adj saddle??? I would say 85/15% but this is out of the hat, I have no justification for this.

I love the adjustable brigde, it is so easy to fine tune action or get it super low without fret buzz. However, I cant avoid thinking would this guitar sound EVEN BETTER with traditional saddle??? Thanks for your comments!

You love the adjustable saddle.... Also' date=' from a warranty perspective, you will void the warranty on the guitar if you replace the bridge.

I always understood that the Gibson warranty is invalid outside the USA.

I always understood that the Gibson warranty is invalid outside the USA.

No the Gibson Warranty is NOT invalid outside the USA (provided you are the original purchaser). If you buy a Gibson new outside the USA the warranty lies with the distributor or dealer in your country. So you refer back to the seller for warranty issues. If you bought the guitar in the USA and took it back to another country your warranty is with Gibson USA, but they will only deal with you from a USA address, or refer you to an authorised warranty repair centre in the country you reside.

No the Gibson Warranty is NOT invalid outside the USA (provided you are the original purchaser). If you buy a Gibson new outside the USA the warranty lies with the distributor or dealer in your country. So you refer back to the seller for warranty issues. If you bought the guitar in the USA and took it back to another country your warranty is with Gibson USA' date=' but they will only deal with you from a USA address, or refer you to an authorised warranty repair centre in the country you reside.

[/quote']

Thanks for the clarification KL.

I've seen and played this model so I don't think it was built just for export. The saddle in this and the (I believe,)Fuller's Custom J-50 Adj. is corian or micarta, while the originals were ceramic. The originals also came with the bridge bolted (under the pearl dots on the bridge) so the sound of those oldies but goodies would have also been influenced by this as well. The B-25 Adj. I played sounded nice, not terribly loud or as "thumpy" as the '60s models though. I kinda liked the tone, but perhaps better for around the house than jamming or performing. Ce.

Archived