Gibson Brands Forums

Pics from Tuesday's gig

heymisterk

I always liked working with women... on music especially. All of the ones I have dealt with seemed decent and worked hard, and goofed off way less than the guys.

I need to buy a good acoustic, and I'm going to work on getting some shows on that. It's fun and you can't beat a good acoustic

Cello is a phenomenal instrument, it almost makes me wished I joined Orchestra

Very cool, congratulations.

And I second the idea that, when not soloing, the cello (with or without bow) makes a great bass-line accompaniment to an acoustic guitar. Even if she just plays root notes low on the neck - the richness it adds is amazing. My wife plays, but hardly ever anymore, and the times I can wheedle her into playing with me, around the house... wow.

There's something to the yin and yang of a male and female voice mixing whether in harmony or octaves... I've never tried to figure out what it is in technical terms looking at some sort of graphic illustration of it... but it's there.

That's one reason I like to see the ladies here talk of playing live, and with groups...

Frankly in spite of loving the wide repertoire of acoustic music possible, I get bored after a while with a solo boy or a solo girl - but it seems that combine the two and it's as though the effect is geometric. One plus one doesn't in this case add up to two, it adds up to four.

Whatever. <grin> I'm happy one of our members has a gig he (or she) enjoys!

Yeah, there are difficulties in aggregations for music that include both sexes but really, regardless of "cause," there are difficulties any time you have more than one person making the music. We simply tend to think that way because in our younger days is sometimes seems that way.

As I've said before, the older I get the more convinced I am that under surface layers of psychology created by biology, there's not enough difference between boys and girls to matter. It's that self esteem is a pretty big need. You can't be creative without it - at least not so that anyone else will know, it appears to me. Somehow it always tends to kick in as a problem whether it's drugs and booze or a "significant other" not being very supportive.

It's the old bit of Maslow's hierarchy of needs. I never read where anybody figured there was much difference there between boys and girls.

m

Archived