Gibson Brands Forums

The ToneRite - Real World Testing and Results

KenRosier

I guess I had the controls turned up too high and the guitar evaporated - this is all that was left of the J45 this morning:

AdjBridge2_zps5c8cc0f6.jpg

BluesKing777.

I keep hearing it being played somewhere, but I can't see the J45.....

Scully?

BluesKing777.

• 4 years later...

I haven’t tried a Tonerite on an SJ........

As reported in an earlier thread somewhere started by the chap from Tonerite himself, I believe, my Tonerite was a buzz, buzz, buzzing on a guitar overnight in my basement music room and one time I walked past the room and heard not the customary ‘buzz’ but a light ‘bzz’.

As I entered the music room, the Tonerite went ‘bzz’, ‘bzz’, .........’bz’.......’bz’........’zzzz’.........’zz’.......’z’.......................................................................

Kaput!

Good! That buzz sound would drive you dingbats in a smaller house! Out you go, Tonerite, to the back yard to lie in the long grass with the rollerblades, a Yamaha acoustic and an old Marshall...🥶

These days when I try out a guitar, if it is in anyway too tight and in need of serious breaking in, back to the rack it goes!

BluesKing777.

• Haha 1

I hadn't thought of Tone Right for a long time.  Don't think I'd buy one, but this oldie was a good thread and I enjoyed re-reading it.  Like literally everything and anything related to how we each hear things, it depends on the ears doing the listening.  I've never had a clear answer on how long the Tone Right effect lasts.  Is it permenent, or do you have to keep doing it every few days or weeks?

5 hours ago, MissouriPicker said:

I hadn't thought of Tone Right for a long time.  Don't think I'd buy one, but this oldie was a good thread and I enjoyed re-reading it.  Like literally everything and anything related to how we each hear things, it depends on the ears doing the listening.  I've never had a clear answer on how long the Tone Right effect lasts.  Is it permenent, or do you have to keep doing it every few days or weeks?

Not if you keep playing it!

My guitars I still own that I zapped still sound great.....but the only scientific way of comparing results would be...comparing results. 😵

(Need 2 identical guitars - one on the Tonerite, the other, not).

BluesKing777.

21 hours ago, BluesKing777 said:

Not if you keep playing it!

My guitars I still own that I zapped still sound great.....but the only scientific way of comparing results would be...comparing results. 😵

(Need 2 identical guitars - one on the Tonerite, the other, not).

BluesKing777.

I realize you can't give an exact number, but do you think playing a "treated" guitar 2-3 times per week for 30min-45min would maintain the enhancement?

8 hours ago, MissouriPicker said:

I realize you can't give an exact number, but do you think playing a "treated" guitar 2-3 times per week for 30min-45min would maintain the enhancement?

It depends on your guitar and what you want from the Tonerite, MP!

After using it, I will now go to the ends of the planet to avoid buying a guitar that needs it. For example, the last new guitar I bought was a Taylor 717e Builder's Edition slope shoulder dread that features rosewood with a torrefied spruce top to push that side of the equation along a bit...it is still a new guitar though. I have owned it for a year and a bit and played it a fair bit, so it has 'broken in'. Torrefying the sitka top has given it a papery sound in there while strumming, beautiful toned guitar - designed to be more 'vintage' sounding than the 'bright' Taylors. If my Tonerite had not broken, would I have used it on this guitar to open out the whole guitar more? Don't know. It could do with a few zaps.....hmmm.

Do the guitars I used it on still need to be zapped occasionally? No - I just wanted the gadget to get the guitars over the new guitar 'hump' - they got zapped in my music room while I was working the other end of the house. Do they need it? Nope - they sound absolutely brilliant at the moment. And no bits fell off the guitars!

MP, I have read on other forums about people that keep zapping their guitar to re-wake it - I think they might have bought themselves the wrong guitar. Just as I hope not to do.......😎

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777