Gibson Brands Forums

The ToneRite - Real World Testing and Results

KenRosier

I, too, am interested in users' perceptions about the effects of the ToneRite on their various electric guitars, including those factors which Ken mentioned. Also, please include the ToneRite settings you've used, and which ones you consider to have worked best and been the most helpful to achieving your desired results.

Thanks again,

Jack6849

Ken' date=' thanks for the thoughtful post. The thing that has so far kept me from using tonerite is the fear of doing harm. Somewhere I read of one or two bad experiences, guitars that sounded worse, boomy bass and muddled mids. For certain this appears to be a small minority of the reported results, which generally range from very positive to small change.

[/quote']

I have never heard of this but it would certainly be feasible for someone to be dissatisfied with the change. Tone and sound quality are VERY subjective. I can't count the number of times I have been in a music store somewhere when someone test drives a roomful of guitars and swears the $219 Fender or Yamaha acoustic sounds better then the $4,200 Collings. How is that for subjectivity? I guess the questions you can ask yourself is this. If I were to play this guitar for the next 5 days, day and night, without stopping (but were able to do it in a way that produced no fret or other wear) would it sounds worse then it does now? That's the bottom line. Personally I would think that if it did sound worse it must be a really bad guitar to begin with. I'm guessing the even the $200 beater guitar wound sound the same or better. With that said, I'm also guessing that a guitar that is played every day and has 4 or more year on it would not show a great change. Maybe, maybe not. I do play my 1999 000-28EC several times a week and it showed a fairly significant change.

On another note, last night I started running the ToneRite on my Taylor LKSM-12 Leo Kottke Signature Model. If you are not familiar with the LKSM-12 it is sort of a baritone 12 string with everything tuned down 1-1/2 steps. (Low and high string sets tuned to C#) Unfortunately I don’t play it very often so it may be hard for me to identify the change if any, but I will fill you in.

Happy Tunes

• 5 years later...

On another note, last night I started running the ToneRite on my Taylor LKSM-12 Leo Kottke Signature Model. If you are not familiar with the LKSM-12 it is sort of a baritone 12 string with everything tuned down 1-1/2 steps. (Low and high string sets tuned to C#) Unfortunately I don’t play it very often so it may be hard for me to identify the change if any, but I will fill you in.

Happy Tunes

I used to use the guitar in the stand in front of the stereo approach. Now I have 3 Tone Rites that get rotated primarily among my archtops and acoustics. Works for me.

When I first got a ToneRite one of the guys I play with, who played bluegrass professionally back in the '70's, gave me the hardest time and scoffed at it relentlessly. So I told him he ought to borrow it and judge for himself. He borrows it all the time now, especially when he takes a long bike trip and gets back and his guitar has been un-played for a month. He's the kind of guy that has a good ear too, so much so that he still doesn't use an electronic tuner! I consider my ToneRite as just another tool in keeping my guitars at their best. I've used it on all the guitars in my sig and they all respond favorably to its application, especially my J-50.

I once posted on a heated "Tonerite" thread over on AGF, that if someone bought a Tonerite, and felt it didn't work, they could always give it to their girlfriend…..lol….I got a scathing verbal spanking from one of the born aginner moderators they have over there…..so be careful…..for or against, these Tonerite threads can get nasty….lol

I don't mean to be negative, but I'm pretty skeptical. Unless each guitar in the "test" (which this really isn't) was recorded playing the same passages, same room, same fresh strings, same mics and positions, and then the recordings were compared in a fast-switching double blind test, there's nothing scientific here. It could be, it's actually more likely to be, confirmation bias, i.e.; hearing what we expect to hear. Confirmation bias in incredibly common. Humans have a huge capacity for it, and we have very short auditory memory.

P

I once posted on a heated "Tonerite" thread over on AGF, that if someone bought a Tonerite, and felt it didn't work, they could always give it to their girlfriend…..lol….I got a scathing verbal spanking from one of the born aginner moderators they have over there…..so be careful…..for or against, these Tonerite threads can get nasty….lol

LMAO that's just like you to make fun haha

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, old post, but the third I have read in the last few weeks on various forums and I guess it was an 'arrow' pointing at me, because I rummages trough the bits and pieces and dragged mine out yesterday.

The guitars that I bought new recently with Adi tops are the perfect candidates - I mean if left to their own devices, they will have broken in by about....the year 2095. So first up yesterday, I put my Martin CEO7 on a stand and connected the Tonerite. I left gurgle and burble from 4pm til about 2 pm and turned it off because even though they claim it is quiet, it ain't! The princess said it sounded like our old dishwasher when the electrics needed the doc. She is right.

This morning I played the CEO7 and the surprise was it was still almost in tune, ands it had been on the stand all night where normally I case all guitars. The next surprise was that it had already 'worked' a fair bit, even though it had only had 10 hours instead of the recommended 72 hours on the TR.

Buzzing away in there now is the OM28 Marquis with a fairly thick Adi top that will probably never break in 5 lifetimes, so that will probably need the longest time on the buzz.

Next is a weird one I will try - my old 1937 Gibson L-0. It had a neck reset, a new fretboard, nut, bridge, saddle, tuners and just doesn't sound THAT old compared to looking at it, so that can get a few buzzes to see what happens and I hop all the new bits don't just fall off!

BluesKing777.

Next is a weird one I will try - my old 1937 Gibson L-0. It had a neck reset, a new fretboard, nut, bridge, saddle, tuners and just doesn't sound THAT old compared to looking at it, so that can get a few buzzes to see what happens and I hop all the new bits don't just fall off!

BluesKing777.

The old L-O will probably vibrate so much it will explode the Tonerite.

I don't have a horse in this race and have no interest in buying a Tone Rite or one the other similar devices. If the device works to your ears, then go for it. I don't doubt that there are ways to improve some things about a guitars tone, volume, sustain, at least for a while. Never tried a Tone Rite, but I have left the radio blasting in my guitar room. Return in a couple hours and turn the radio off and the guitars are actually humming. So, I think there is something to the vibrations. Is the sound better than the sound the guitar made before. I don't know. Never measured it or had an interest in doing so. All I know is that I play my guitars and if the tone is right, I generally keep them. I think it all boils-down to what one believes he/she hears, and the only person we have to satisfy is ourself.

A question in regards to the original post on this thread---------you said that the Tone Rite took a fantastic sounding guitar and improved it substantially. In all sincerity (and I'm not trying to be a smart ***), how in the world do you do that? The guitar was "fantastic" to start with, right? Yet, it didn't already have the qualities and attributes that the Tone Rite added to it? I understand your enthusiasm and I believe you're being honest, but it's this type of exaggeration and hyperbole that make my interest in Tone Rite threads more for entertainment than information. Add to that all the variables, and the most important variable (the pair of ears doing the listening) and the entire thing is totally subjective.........I think you're an honest guy, giving your honest opinion, but it's simply an opinion. I hope that Tone Rite is exactly what you believe it to be. .........Anyway, good thread. Lots of good comments and back-and-forth in a friendly way. [thumbup] [thumbup]

This is the first time I have used a TR on an expensive guitar - previous use was klunky extremely 'new' sounding budget guitars and then my 000-15. The mahogany top on the 000-15 was going to take 35 years to break in with my gentle bare handed fingerpicking, so I gave some buzzes and it worked.

The Adi tops will take about 45 years to break in with bare fingers and I just want to take out the 'new' edge, even though the guitars sound absolutely glorious before Toneratering.... Some other bum is going to get my hard work playing the guitars in a little bit for him, otherwise, so I will see how this goes.

Hope I dont break 'em! If I have take them to my guitar tech and he asks what happened, I will say the dog knocked the guitar over......

Next, I am going to use it on a pair of leather topped Nikes I have that because they are stiff rather than 'tight', I have not used a much as the other model I got at the same time. Shoes are probably a real good analogy - wearing in new leather shoes with leather soles in particular. I had to walk the length of the city in a new pair of leather on errands once and my feet have never recovered. Some people chuck old shoes like those out when they are broken or worn out, others keep getting the beauties repaired because once broken in there is nothing more comfy. My old, old 1944 Martin 0-17 all mahogany is like a very, very old pair of leather shoes that has been repaired a multitude of times, this being the reason the new guitars are bothering me now.......and getting Tonerited.

BluesKing777.

Little update for those waiting with baited breath...what does THAT mean?

I had a practice on the OM28 Mq, then put it on the TR while I went for a ride to the boat ramp and back, had some lunch, watched some of my team on TV and then took off the TR and played the OM...it has already lost some of that new thing, just a wonderful guitar anyway, so I packed it back in the case and will run it some more during the week while I am working...that should cover it.

I had a quick strum of the 37 Gibson L-0 and put the TR on - it has been buzzing away while the Princess and I walked the dog along the beach in the cold, went shopping at the supermarket and now back watching the Teev - the old guitar is getting the new bits run in while we doodle around........

Nice weekend....

BluesKing777.

Well, Monday morning blues here...

The old L-0 got 8 hours on the TR, but really it didn't do what I hoped at all....

Win some, lose some.

I am working down one end of the house on this computer while down the other end, the J45 Standard is getting a buzz. Even though I have had the guitar for 4 or 5 years, it still sounds new, so.......while the TR is setup.....

BluesKing777.

BluesKing, say for example that the Tone Rite really improved the sound in that guitar---how long does the improvement last? Is it something you have to do consistently (every few days, every week, etc) with each guitar? I've never heard a definite answer. Doing each guitar once a month or even every 2-3 weeks for 2-3 hours doesn't sound too bad for something that might actually work, but I'm reading of guitars being hooked-up for days. What is your impression?

BluesKing, say for example that the Tone Rite really improved the sound in that guitar---how long does the improvement last? Is it something you have to do consistently (every few days, every week, etc) with each guitar? I've never heard a definite answer. Doing each guitar once a month or even every 2-3 weeks for 2-3 hours doesn't sound too bad for something that might actually work, but I'm reading of guitars being hooked-up for days. What is your impression?

Really good question, MP!

What has got me using it again is buying that old Martin 0-17 - it is so 'loose' and in comparison, some of my others guitars are so 'tight'.

I can't see how a guitar could 'revert' to the newish sound after a TR treatment, like a new guitar you have played for a year won't revert either.

They say 72 hours for the first treatment now, but I think it was less when I bought the original model - they are up to version 3 now I believe. Being unscientific, I have just used the TR on my newest guitar, Martin CEO7 - except I have been playing that guitar quite heavily for six months or so since I bought it.... It would be ideal for a scientist like Tom B to do a round of tests, but he would probably look at the snake oil with disdain. But there were a lot of believers on the internet when I bought it years back, and even more now.

I have been running the J45 on the buzzer while I have worked today and I gave it a few tunes at lunchtime and it has already done something. I put it back on for more. It has smoothed out to my ears, the high mid eq area that I call nasty, but it has done more than that.

Your list of newish guitars would be ideal to run it over! I think they want $149 with a free jar of snake oil.... Would I buy it again if it broke, got stolen? Most definitely! (No affiliation...with anything actually).

BluesKing777.

I think they want $149 with a free jar of snake oil.... Would I buy it again if it broke, got stolen? Most definitely! (No affiliation...with anything actually).

Snake oil? That' stuff is hard to find. Especially the good stuff! I now NEED a ToneRite!

The wife says thanks BK.

What if the snake oil turns out to be poison toad oil?

The gadget is never going to make a crap guitar sound good!

Just helps break in new guitars quicker.......

I'm pleased, but it is in the realm of the airy fairy - but in a minute, I am going to finish work, have a little ride on the bike, then sit down to strum that J45 that is on the buzzer....

BluesKing777.

Me again!

After playing actual SONGS on the J45 for a while, instead of riffs and doodling, I have to say I am a bit disappointed with a result not really what I hoped for. It still has that new edge sound and probably needs the full 72 hours of buzzin'.

Honestly, take the good with the bad and let others know....but I got sick of the buzz noise and have packed the J45 back in its case. Maybe that is the final J45 Standard sound?

I will return to the original plan of breaking in the new guitars with Adi tops instead of Willy Nilly trying all of them. CEO7, then OM28 Marquis!

Full 72 hours each. After it has had a rest....

BluesKing777.