Gibson Brands Forums

How do I get this tone?

tendiss

Dear members,

I am a fairly new guitar player, only playing for self-entertainment but been interested in various tones. This one is really effect related and I am inexperienced with effects.

This is the song in question:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-1zb4TDQwU

No matter how hard I try, I cannot even come close to the tone he uses. To be honest I have not the faintest idea.

I am particularly interested in the trilling part around 3:40 where the trilling has some kind of fat sound, but ends with a huge squeal. As far as I know that is pinch harmonics, but I couldnt ever make my guitar scream like that.

I use Epiphone Les Paul Custom Alpine White, a KORG AX10G multieffect an Artec Analog Delay and a Harley Benton 20G combo.

The closest tone I could get was with relatively high distortion, lot of gain, some reverb, some delay and filter. But its still far far away and the squeals are nowhere near like that. I tried pinching from every possible position on that Les Paul without getting a similar squeal.

I would greatly appreciate any help from anyone, especially effect-whores [blink]

Thank you in advance!

I'm totally guessing here, so I apologize if this doesn't help.

Hmmm, you're definitely the right track with a bit of a delay. There's a ton of reverb as well. The tone to me doesn't really sound overly distorted. I'd recommend maybe just a slight overdrive of some kind. For that part around 3:40, it sounds to me like he's using his neck pickup. Towards the end, it sounds like there's maybe a slight flange, or something? I dunno. I heard a whooshy kind of airplane taking off sound. Mainly, I think reverb and an overdrive should get you close. As for the squeals, that's probably just a combination of the guitar and his fingers. Try a lighter gauge set of strings. -That might help with those pesky pinch-harmonics.

Keep in mind that tone doesn't come merely from the equipment and settings. It comes, to a large degree, from the player's fingers. And while you can never be sure what went on in the studio, I don't think BH was playing Gibbys back then and what we here on this recording may even be coming from single coils. [cool]

Archived