Gibson Brands Forums

What do I need for a band?

Silenced Fred

CB

I look back at the olden days....

Basically I just wanted to play stuff solo fingerstyle with some jazz chords tossed in. So basically somehow that's where my head always pretty much as been.

In ways' date=' I s'pose, that fits better in the "acoustic" section. At least sometimes it seems that way.

But I know that I can see stuff now that adds some ideas... I have the computer to record what I'm doing so I can play with stuff to try to make it less "boring" as a lotta solo acts end up being...

OTOH... I tend to see it more as an acceleration of what I was already wanting to do.

m

[/quote']

I know what you mean (in a way that an 18 year old could... :^o ) But seriously, I like playing shows electric, but if I had to choose, I would rather to solo acoustic stuff, its always been my favorite.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nathan...

One reason I love the 175 is that it is kinda the best of both worlds, electric and acoustic. Given that my head is kinda a "piano bar" sort of thing in music, it fits.

It's nothing to use at the 28th fret <grin>, but...

BTW - the "old" me in the avatar is with my mid 1970s EA Ovation - one of the first. Certainly the first I had access to and I used the cash I had available then and don't have now to get two of 'em. This one for steel string stuff and the other is a 14-fret nylon EA.

m

Nathan...

One reason I love the 175 is that it is kinda the best of both worlds' date=' electric and acoustic. Given that my head is kinda a "piano bar" sort of thing in music, it fits.

It's nothing to use at the 28th fret <grin>, but...

m

[/quote']

I have been looking at the Godin 5th Avenue Kingpin, its kinda the same-ish thing. Really cool for the money

Hmmm....

That Godin kinda reminds me of how I electrified a Harmony F hole in the olden days. But then, I also had that doubled G string to play with.

Getting the action to work was the hardest thing for me. You may or may not like the wooden bridge. Nice for jazz, not so nice for some other stuff. Some guitars of the 50s era had metal bridges. I kinda like the TM. The TM with roller bridges may be almost ideal for that kind of guitar, though. Just an opinion.

m

I guess since I will have to be filling in vocal duties' date=' I am gonna buy it. The upside is that I could then get some nice smaller amps, mic those babies up, and have a blast!

It's gonna be hard work, but I think I will be able to pull it off

Thanks guys[/quote']

Exactly!!:- You can always mic a small amp, but you can't sing through a Marshall Stack.

First Measure...

I dunno. One reason I loved the old Deluxe Reverb, the big tube jobbie I got in the early - mid 70s and the EA amp I have now is that they were more or less built so they could have a mike through one section and guitar in the other for solo work. In fact, the big old tube jobbie has on the front, "Guitar sound system."

m

Yeah...

Actually the last pure PA system I had was an old tube jobbie. Sold it 30 years ago at the end of another life.

Modern PAs are a lot better and a lot more versatile, whether the "stovepipe" variety or something that looks a bit more traditional. I think for solo there's a lot to be said for the stovepipes at $1-2,000.

If I were to start from scratch, yeah, I think I'd consider just going with a PA and forgetting an amp per se.

My "little" solid state amp is an acoustic with a mike section and guitar section. At 30 watts it's enough for a small saloon solo. The big tube jobbie could handle a bigger place, but even with two 12s, it's not going to give the quality you'd like to have for a bigger solo gig - or perhaps more, the separation.

A band, too, does IMHO also require a real PA, although I've seen several kinda daisy chain active speaker units for acoustic-type groups.

m

Along with getting your equipment in order you will need to go from a just jamming having fun thing to a more serious and professional type of practice if your goal is to perform in public. This is best done from the get go. A band is a business and everyone needs to help with all the other aspects that go into it. A lot of us I am certain have war stories about playing killer music but self destructing from the many other things that can screw up a band.

Blackie write:

"A lot of us I am certain have war stories about playing killer music but self destructing from the many other things that can screw up a band."

Brother, that's an understatement.

As for a trailer, etc... I'd say that depends on some other variables. If you're going "big stuff" and a bigger outfit, yeah. Three, even four guys in an SUV or minivan have enuf stuff for small venues unless "show" of bigger stuff is parta the game too. A bigger PA and smaller amps or no amps...

Depends on what you're playing. Even crowd expectations don't necessarily require the physically biggest amps as long as folks' ears hurt. <grin> Some 30 years ago I'd probably have agreed with you, though. Nowadays? I don't think so - again, as long as the PA can make ears hurt. A more "soft rock" or "acoustic rock" approach doesn't even need that.

One reason, too, we needed the trailer was light boxes 'cuz we were playing some places that really were dark and pushbutton reds and blues and such added a bit to a small town 60s version of "show." Now? Again, depends on venues, styles and audience expectations.

m

Here is what I have so far: We just had a meeting and we discussed a lot of things, I have riffs and chord progressions they REALLY liked, so I got put in lyrics, a second guitar part, and start playing it. We are planning a "concert" in my basement. It can accomodate about 50 people really easy. PA System I meant try to rent depending on how fast we get songs together, but we have 6 songs easy that and only 4 need lyrics. I will try and get some recordings up so you guys can take a listen if you want.

My friend has a van, and we could haul everything in there. I could fit all of our guitar and PA stuff (minus the drum set) in my Corolla! (no joke, the trunk on that thing is huge, so I'm not too worried about getting a trailer)

It's coming together really nicely, I just want to have fun with this. If we make money at it, that's a benefit.

Oh, and the whole not having a bass player thing, I got the idea after a while, because we couldn't find someone to play bass, so we were stuck. I had a playlist of just White Stripes and Black Keys and I was just listening to it, and it hit me. We don't need it! Eventually, we might end up with one, but for now, I won't let not having a bass player change our music. We can write and record stuff, and if someone comes around, we will see how that goes

Archived