Gibson Brands Forums

Which Gibson's come stock with Adirondack Spruce tops?

onewilyfool

There's been quite a lot of discussion recently about the J-45 TV and if it has an adirondack top or not. Gibson site says it does, and I think it has since those limited edition ones in 2008.

OWF,

I have a copy of a spec sheet titled "2009 Gibson Montana Spec Info" which Gibson sent my dealer and they gave me when I was buying an "SJ-200 True Vintage" back in February of this year. Can't say the information is still current, but it shows the "Elvis Costello Century", the "SJ-200 TV", the "J-45 TV", the "1937 L-00", and the "1942 J-45" as the current models with tops which Gibson describes as "Red Spruce".

Interestingly, they list the top of the "Hummingbird TV" as Sitka Spruce, and that of the "Super Dove" model as TBD. (I guess that meant "To Be Determined"?)

All other Gibson acoustic models' tops are listed as Sitka Spruce with the exception of the "John Lennon Peace Model" which is apparently laminated ("Lam. Spruce").

Right now, I also have a "J-200 Jr.", with a "select-grade Adirondack Spruce" top, special-ordered from their "Custom Shop" operation in Bozeman. So, "Red Spruce" does seem to be currently available. For tone, "Adirondack" is my favorite topwood for sure. And it really sounds great on all the Gibson acoustics I've heard with it. My "SJ-200 TV" is the best-sounding Gibson acoustic I've ever owned (or heard). It amazes me every time I play it, and it actually gave me the confidence to special-order my Adirondack-topped "J-200 Jr." without being able to hear it first.

Hope that helps,

Jack6849

Archived