Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Sg Platinum [red]

davidandrew

Thanks rewddawg but now im afraid I have got the gibson bug cause I really want a BFG and SG standard.

David, It's called G.A.S. (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) and we all get it. I don't know if you are married or not and what kind of cash reserve you have but you need to be made aware of the fact that the syndrome exists. It goes from guitars to amps and effects not necessarily in that order. Some people have more funds than others to buy the gear that intrigues them. All I can tell you is that you are not alone and that smart purchasing will save you money. I suggest that you always play one first, make sure it feels right, plays killer and has the tone you are looking for. Necks can vary alot from guitars of the same model. Weight may be a factor to you. You can take a loss just buying on looks only. It's like a car once you buy it, take it home and go beyond the return policy the value of the instrument takes a drop in value. Some guitars get hit worse than others. I hope you acquire the instruments you want and they make you very happy for many years. Peace Bro.

Rewd.

LOL well I have had G.A.S for a while but I was into ESP and now that I have made the switch to Gibson and fender it has opened up a whole new world for me. I really just love the raw pure tone that I can get out my SG it feels great as well though its a little light for me love the ebony fretboard. Ive been able to get some really good tone out of my deville but now im kind of wishing I would have got a deluxe reverb. But anyhow thanks Rewd and im sure ill be spending alot of time on this forum !!! Pedals and amps are a whole other story sadly right now im waiting for my seymour duncan twintube classic to come in and thinking about getting a way huge pork loin which I love.

David

• 1 year later...

I recently bought the same model Gibson SG Special Platinum, but in the pewter color. I will post pics as soon as possible. The 490R & 490T pickups are fine, especially the 490T, which I like a lot. The Platinum SG Special sounds different from my cherry red SG Special (same pickups), probably due to the ebony fretboard on the Platinum. Mine's all original except for the toggle button and Schaller straplocks I added. I think my cherry red SG sounds a little better, but the Platinum SG was still a great buy at around $500. This is the only Platinum-Series pewter-colored one I've seen with a black peghead. Pics soon!

Archived