Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Sg Platinum [red]

davidandrew

Hello everyone I am new to this forum and just had a few questions about a new guitar I just bought. Well I was lucky enough to pick up a Gibson sg platinum (red) for $400 dollars it isnt in that bad of shape but it definitely does need some work. The problem I am having is finding replacement parts for it I would like to keep it all original if I could. Thanks to anyone that has any info.

Things im looking for is New Pickguard (aluminum brushed), Selector knob platinum, and a few other things Ill post before and after pics when I am finished with the project.

Please post picks! I am curious if yours is like mine: Sunrise Orange Platinum. Of course mine has been modded a bit: 57+ in the bridge, a Bigsby, and a set of Sperzel locking tuners.

l_4f1ccf2733f44e3399628dccbc59368c.jpg

if you would like to know which pickups are mounted on your guitar: they are the 490R and the 490T. These are still available for purchase.

Kind regards,

Stijn Vergeest

Gibson Europe Customer Service

00800-4GIBSON1

00800-44427661

www.gibson.com

service.europe@gibson.com

Yeah I saw that the pick ups are still available. I have it in the shop right now but as soons as i get it out Ill take some pics and post them. I did find the replacement pickguard on WD MUSIC but couldn't find the knob for the toggle. I was going to change out the pick ups for some bustbuckers but I'm just going to leave it all original I love the raw sound. From what Ive gathered off the serial number the guitar. Thanks everyone for all the help glad to finally be apart of the Gibson family. I believe this is the correct serial but I dont have the guitar right now so its just from memory.

serial # 00394639

made in usa February 5th 2004 in the Nashville plant. Color: Sunrise Orange

production # 339

You would not "drill on the pickguard". You would have to route out the pickup cavities to be a little wider to fit the p90s. You would have to get a new pickguard.

The easiest thing to do would be to order a pickguard from an SG Classic with the pickups still in it from eBay or something. The Classic has the pickups screwed into the pickguard which makes it way easier to install. If you put the pickups in the traditional way you'll have to screw them directly into the wood and risk piercing through the back.

P4210008.jpg?t=1277431176

Hell yes! That is what I am talking about. Where did you get yours? Is yours heavier than an SG Standard?

Just wish someone made silver speed knobs that color match the top hats. I had to go black because I am not a fan of the top hats.

sexxxxy i want one you should add a bigsby to truly make it a twin to evols

Can you imagine it: A whole army of Sunrise Orange SGs with chrome Bigsbys? Talk about sonic assault.

Hell yes! That is what I am talking about. Where did you get yours? Is yours heavier than an SG Standard?

Just wish someone made silver speed knobs that color match the top hats. I had to go black because I am not a fan of the top hats.

I actually bought it used from GC. I didn't set out to buy an SG...my step-son started playing it and I was impressed with the sound! The rest is history! I especially like the ebony fretboard! My guitar is heavier than the standard...I was actually quite surprised!

I actually bought it used from GC.

That would be the place since this and the Black Platinum SG Specials were limited edition models made exclusively for GC. Makes the guitar all the more special' date=' eh? [smile Seriously, I laughed when I found this out because most GC exclusives are lowest common denominator junk; not unique beauties like our SGs.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived