Gibson Brands Forums

Red Spruce top on 1964 Hummingbird Natural?

Sam From Dallas

Just became an incredibly happy owner of a 1964 Hummingbird Natural top which looks more like my Adirondack topped guitars than sitka. I know that Gibson used red spruce tops on some of its war time J-45's but was unsure if there is any instance of utilization during the early sixties...

Just became an incredibly happy owner of a 1964 Hummingbird Natural top which looks more like my Adirondack topped guitars than sitka. I know that Gibson used red spruce tops on some of its war time J-45's but was unsure if there is any instance of utilization during the early sixties...

Short answer is "No, ... but, with Gibson, nothing can be completely ruled out." How about posting a picture?

-- Bob R

During WWII is when Gibson went to Sitka spruce and it would be rare indeed to see any Gibson made after 1942 up to the establishment of the Bozeman shop with a red spruce top

About the only guitar I am truly hungering for is a '60-'64 Hummingbird. So I am envious no matter what the top is made of.

Congrats - a fantastic score.

Thanks to you both... I think you're right...there's such a complexity of sound ( is that English?) that makes me look for a magic answer as to the why- " oh it's the top"... They just knew how to put these pieces of wood together and a few short years later they forgot...

Archived