Gibson Brands Forums

A more explicit repair question here!

JThunderz

Okay, I've already stated my situation in another post- but I just wanna clarify and get some feedback from some people who's opinion(s) I respect. (That is to say- you guys!)

So boom my guitar falls, and the neck pup pops out; I took it apart and put it back together again and it pops out again. The problem is that the nut-part of the pup mount is no longer staying in the wooden holes. The impact of the drop pulled them out and pounding them back in has loosened the holes that are supposed to be tight and firm (like you know what- but I digress...) So I've decided that I'm going to glue them back in.

The question is- What kind of glue is appropriate? I tried searching around on different websites and came back with no sure answer. So maybe we can reach a consensus and guide me in the right direction?

I'm think either superglue or woodglue; Pros? Cons? Objections?

Again, Thanks a lot- I love my guitar.

BTW it's a soap-bar p90 so the mount is in the middle, not the sides like a regular humb you'd find on a Lester. I don't know if that makes a difference, just thought I'd throw that out there for the sake of full disclosure.

You may want to look into gluing a piece of dowel rod in the holes to fill them in. Once it dries' date=' redrill the holes to fit the screws. Should make for a cleaner fix that will allow removal of the pickups.[/quote']

Yes I completely agree with surveyor get a dowel rod that is roughly the same size as the holes

and glue the rods into place thus reinforcing the holes and giving the screws a fresh surface to grab on to.

Yes I completely agree with surveyor get a dowel rod that is roughly the same size as the holes

and glue the rods into place thus reinforcing the holes and giving the screws a fresh surface to grab on to.

Cool, I think I'll take your guys advice and do just that; But that leads to another problem- I've searched the Gibson website (and other sites) upside and down, back and forth, inside out, and I still can't find the exact dimensions of the hole! So I'm not sure what size dowel rod to use, as well as which drill bit!

Any help, again, guys?! Maybe point me to some one (or somewhere) with definitive knowledge on the subject?

Thanks a bunch!

Archived