Gibson Brands Forums

Social Distortion

Chuck Biscuits has the best rock star name ever. I cracked up the first time I heard of him when he was playing with Black Flag.

He is also one of the greatest rock drummers that no one ever talks about.

And Black Flag drummers? How spoiled can you be. Both Biscuits and Bill Stevenson are legends.

I got to see Stevenson play with Black Flag a number of times. First time I ever saw Black Flag was when I was an intern at a live sound company and we did a show for them at some club in NJ that was (is?) called New York South and I became an instant fan. One of the most intense bands I have ever seen in my life.

Having grown up in Orange County, Social D was one of my mainstays growing up.

Seen them many times. Met mike too.

I once took a picture of Mike at the KROQ Weenie Roast where he was wearing a wife beater, Dickies, Rayban sunglasses, playing his '56RI Les Paul and was screaming into an SM-58 mic. Right behind him Chuck Biscuits was banging away on the drums. The photograph captured Chucks wild hair flying across his face. The paper I was working for put it on the front page of the entertainment section. Awesome photograph. Wish I would have been able to get the negative for that. Not exactly a thousand words but you get the picture.

Anyway, incredible band, great music.

I got to see Stevenson play with Black Flag a number of times. First time I ever saw Black Flag was when I was an intern at a live sound company and we did a show for them at some club in NJ that was (is?) called New York South and I became an instant fan. One of the most intense bands I have ever seen in my life.

A little before my time and under my radar until late high school (try growing up a greeky white kid in rural Michigan), but from what I have read the Rollins area Black Flag was insane. A lot of fights breaking out at shows and Rollins punching more than a few audience members.

Why didn't you end up with the negative?

Just something I never pursued. Probably was too concerned about writing the next story or setting up the next interview.

Mike was a good interview too. Down to earth. Not egotistical like some other musicians. I've got the article and photograph from the paper stored away some place.

Anyway, I can't wait till release the new material. Looking forward to hearing it.

A little before my time and under my radar until late high school (try growing up a greeky white kid in rural Michigan)' date=' but from what I have read the Rollins area Black Flag was insane. A lot of fights breaking out at shows and Rollins punching more than a few audience members. [/quote']

I saw them play four or five times and, while it was pretty crazy, I never saw any fights. Maybe it was just the venues I went to (always City Gardens in Trenton, NJ except for that first show I mentioned above), but even most of the slam dancers were cool; if someone fell down, several other people would grab the guy and get him up off the floor before he got hurt.

There were always a couple of ******bags, but the bouncers at City Gardens were good for dragging those guys right out the door if they got too out of hand; in fact, the bouncers at CG were very good at knowing what the deal is at a hardcore show and that people slam dance although stage diving was strictly off limits. They just made sure that nobody was out to hurt anyone else.

The absolute craziest show I ever saw was Pantera at some club in NYC when they were supporting Cowboys from Hell. Usually there is a row of security keeping people from climbing onto the stage. Not for Pantera. At any given time, there must have been 10-20 people running around and diving off of the stage and a huge mosh pit below. I hung out of the way at the side of the room for that show. Too crazy! I also remember paying $8 for a freaking can of Budweiser.

I saw them play four or five times and' date=' while it was pretty crazy, I never saw any fights. Maybe it was just the venues I went to (always City Gardens in Trenton, NJ except for that first show I mentioned above), but even [i']most[/i] of the slam dancers were cool; if someone fell down, several other people would grab the guy and get him up off the floor before he got hurt.

Man, that comment took me back. People look at me funny when I say their used to be pit etiquette. I do remember the days when it was about having a release and not about frat boy / meat head / mouth breathers hurting someone else. Back in the day we used to watch out for cats that fell and we'd help them up instead of stomping on them.

evol, here's something else you might be interested in...

When Henry started the Rollins Band, the original drummer (Sim Cain) and bass player (Andrew Weiss) were locals from my area. Prior to Rollins, they played with Greg Ginn in Gone. Before they got involved with those guys, they used to play in an instrumental punk/jazz/no wave/freakout band called Regressive Aid with a guitar player named E. William Tucker who went on to be a regular in the Wax Trax! Records scene (he recorded with and toured with the likes of Ministry, Thrill Kill Cult, Chemlab and the like).

Sim Cain is still active and plays in various projects and I saw him play when he toured with The J. Geils Bands (that was a surprise!). I don't know who Andrew Weiss has been playing with except he produces and plays with Ween. Billy Tucker suffered from a condition that doctors couldn't diagnose or help him with that caused him great pain in his testicles; he committed suicide by taking a bunch of pills and cutting his own throat back in 1999.

Regressive Aid was nothing short of awesome. Their records are very rare but there is a web page where you can download their album, EP and a live recording from CBGB's in MP3 format. I think their music still stands up pretty well today and the recordings don't sound like typical early 80's stuff although the live recording will require some EQing to get it to sound more balanced. Hope you like it it!

Regressive Aid recordings

evol' date=' here's something else you might be interested in...

When Henry started the Rollins Band, the original drummer (Sim Cain) and bass player (Andrew Weiss) were locals from my area. Prior to Rollins, they played with Greg Ginn in Gone. Before they got involved with those guys, they used to play in an instrumental punk/jazz/no wave/freakout band called Regressive Aid with a guitar player named E. William Tucker who went on to be a regular in the Wax Trax! Records scene (he recorded with and toured with the likes of Ministry, Thrill Kill Cult, Chemlab and the like).

Sim Cain is still active and plays in various projects and I saw him play when he toured with The J. Geils Bands (that was a surprise!). I don't know who Andrew Weiss has been playing with except he produces and plays with Ween. Billy Tucker suffered from a condition that doctors couldn't diagnose or help him with that caused him great pain in his testicles; he committed suicide by taking a bunch of pills and cutting his own throat back in 1999.

Regressive Aid was nothing short of awesome. Their records are very rare but there is a web page where you can download their album, EP and a live recording from CBGB's in MP3 format. I think their music still stands up pretty well today and the recordings don't sound like typical early 80's stuff although the live recording will require some EQing to get it to sound more balanced. Hope you like it it!

Regressive Aid recordings

Wow, thanks for the info. I remember seeing Gone albums when I was doing college radio. Rollins used to say that Cain and Weiss were some of the few cats that could give Ginn a run for his money. Great band. My favorite Rollins band material by far is End of Silence, which was Weiss' last recording with them. Low S.O. and Get a Grip have been staples on my weight lifting mixes for fifteen years. I always wondered what happened to Weiss. And hearing Cain is sitting in with the J. Geils Band does not surprise me because William Rieflin (Ministry, Rev Co) is the drummer for R.E.M.

Thanks for the link. I will definitely check out those MP3s.

Archived