Gibson Brands Forums

This date, 6/29/1967

TommyK

Jayne Mansfield was killed in a horrific automobile accident. The car she was riding in rear-ended a semi trailer. In in the US in '67, semi trailers weren't required to have bumpers. The car's hood went under the trailer bed, the front seat occupants heads were crushed by the end of the trailer bed.

Her children, Zoltan, Mickey and Marishka were slightly injured but survived. The children bear their father's surname, Harigitay. Yup, Marishka Hargitay, the actress who portrays Olivia Benson on Law and Order, SVU.

Probably due, in part, to the notoriety of this accident, the US DOT now requires all trucks to have a bumper, officially called a DOT bar. Colloquially called a "Mansfield Bar" in honor of Jayne Mansfield.

On a happier note, the year of a monster corvette, one of the most popular collector cars today.

I remember that day by the way. It is like it all started with her and the Kennedys ('63), the Manson Murders, time ticks... Elvis...John L., Michael J. - dang, some of us are getting really older...not old yet, but older.

Deep Blue...

You're right from what I'd heard afterward, but the Associated Press photo caption initially included a sentence to the effect that "the light spot on the (I can't remember the part of the car) is Miss Mansfield's head." I'll remember that for a long, long time.

m

Archived