Gibson Brands Forums

Opinions - cabinets

Tim Plains

I'm thinking about buying an Egnater 212 or 412 this weekend. Only problem is I can't find any locally. There is an Egnater dealer around me but they don't stock either cabinet. Does anyone have one or tried one? They're both reasonably priced and GC does have a 15% off sale this weekend. I'd use it with a Rebel 20 head.

I'm leaning towards the 412 because it's only $150 more than the 212.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Egnater-Tourmaster-Series-412A-or-412B-280W-4x12-Guitar-Speaker-Cabinet-104773932-i1388440.gc

Edit: removed Egnater from the title since this quickly became not about Egnater cabs...lol.

I see, Mesa cabs are top notch. That was going to be my suggestion even before I knew you bought a Transatlantic.

UK made Celestion speaker, 7-ply birch and industrial webbing paint inside...good stuff.

Sorry I have no input on the Egnater.

Tim,

Mesa 3/4 back cabs are a real good option in between open cab and closed cab.

Mine is a 1x12 but ther is a 2x12 version.

They do weigh a ton, I am actually considering buy another one to leave at my friends were we jam and just carry the head around.

Thanks River but I've never tried them either.

Stiff, I'm just going by what's on GC's website - this is the only 212 cab they have. What do you think of it?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Mesa-Boogie-Rectifier-120W-2x12-Horizontal-Guitar-Speaker-Cabinet-100333209-i1453113.gc

I'm going to stick with GC because of the 15% off and because I can bypass Canada Customs (additional 13%).

Nothing wrong with that.

Buy from GC and if you don't like it' date=' take it back.

That's the one strength that they offer.[/quote']

Also, I get the feeling that, regardless of who's manufacturing them, there's more consistency in a line of speaker cabinets than there could ever be in a line of guitars. In other words, I feel like every Egnater Tourmaster 4x12 cab would be roughly equivalent to the next, as would every Mesa Rectifier 2x12 cab--unlike, for instance, SG Standards, which would all be different from one another even if they're produced on the same day in the same factory, as it goes with Les Pauls, or any other guitar model under the sun. Bottom line, Guitar Center's probably a good place for cabinets because it's not as if you'll necessarily find a better cabinet of the same model in another location. You could probably buy online, sight-unseen, and be completely satisfied with the results.

Then again I have somewhat limited experience with speaker cabinets, so this is mainly going on my own reasoning and research. Logically I think it makes sense, but as with everything YMMV. I guess my point is that GC's probably the right place to buy it from if you're getting the discounts and everything.

Tim, I'm real happy with my 2, 1 x12 Egnator cabinets.... I also have the Rebel 20. I like the fact that you can stack them or split them up. I like the look of the stack but having the option to have one on either side of the stage is nice too... I am going to get a Rebel 30 head first chance I get though... I find the one channel and no reverb a small drawback to a very nice little amp. I'll keep the 20 for a spare but I want a clean and dirty channel with foot switch and the reverb also that the Rebel 30 has...

Stack.jpg

Dave, I agree about not having reverb but I don't mind one-channel amps. Actually, I prefer their simplicity. The Mesa head I have has two channels; so, I do have a foot switch when I want one and my PRS head has reverb. I guess I have it all; just not in one amp. [biggrin]

I went ahead and ordered the Egnater 412a cab. I have two 1x12, I'll have a 2x12 sooner or later, and now this 4x12. I traded my Marshall stack a few weeks ago and although I don't miss the JCM, I do miss the huge cabs. That was the deciding factor.

Tim,

That cab looks good but my opinion is that they are too compact and it is a closed back, I prefer more "airy" designs.

I am not a fan of Celestion Vintage 30s. I like their C-90 better.

Is the GC coupon valid on Mesa?

On all items' date=' I believe...so, yes.

I'm with you on the airy part but my Marshall cabs also had closed backs and they were awesome. That MB 212 cab I posted above also has a closed back.[/quote']

I've read that some of the famous (EC, Albert Lee) leave a couple of speakers out of their closed 4x12s, and even cut a slot in the back.

Airy, indeed.

Archived