Gibson Brands Forums

SG faded special mod/routing question

Kyle W

So I'm wondering about using a Dremel and routing out a faded SG's middle space for a third humbucker and mounting 3 hums in rings, with a small '61 pickguard below (I'm hoping to skip the '68 style batwing pg for this project.) Question: would routing that area out possibly weaken the overall stability of the body and cause major problems - poor tuning and intonation, weakened neck, etc., seeing as it is within the area directly under the strings and conceivably in the corridor that supports the most tension? Basically I'd like to do something that sort of mimics the style of a '61 LP SG without the obviously hefty pricetag.

Have you ever taken off the pickguard? There is routing under the pickguard that would be exposed if you switched to a '61 style pickguard. It would not be cool at all. You could fill it with wood and blend it in but you would have to refinish it.

You could route for a third humbucker no problem. Just be careful not to bust a hole out of the back of the guitar. It won't weaken anything. They have made 3 pickup SGs before.

Maybe you should try and pick up a used SG 3 on eBay.

Yeah I was wondering if any of that wiring routing would be exposed with a small pickguard. I first started thinking about this project while I was taking off the pickguard of the faded I have now to put covers on the pickups. I may just keep looking for one of those SG-3's, I liked the white faded one they came out with a year or two ago, it was affordable too, but they quickly became hard to find. Thanks!

And thanks again! That answered one of my other related questions, I'd wondered if those routings were larger than a normal non-pickguard "ring" routing. Mission aborted...probably more trouble than it's worth...time to find an SG-3!

Archived