Gibson Brands Forums

Pickups and capacitors ?

gtrplayr1976

OK....opinions please.

Best PAF type humbucker for Les Paul Standard ? (exclude Shaws,and actual PAFS)

OK..of these which one ?

Lindy Fralin Pure PAF

Gibson 57 Classic

Seymour Duncan Antiquties

Best .022 type tone cap for above ? Disc, orange drop, oil,and paper ?

Thanks folks!

Guest BentonC

I've tried the Duncan Antiquities, and they are pretty smokin', but I still like the Gibson Burstbucker 1 and 2 the best of any PAF replica I've tried. As far as caps go, you can't go wrong with Orange Drops, but the Mojo Dijion are pretty cool as well.

If you are like to tinker with your guitar, try out a .047uF. I was blown away when I tried these (some NOS Russian oil-filled)...

Pots - 500k CTS pots.

Caps - Luxe Bumblebee or Grey Tiger (same thing).

Pickups - you decide. I also really like Gibson BBs (not BB Pro). I've only tried Wolfetone pickups, awesome, but can't comment in any other aftermarket PAF. The next set I'll try will be either Sheptones or Throbaks because everyone speaks very highly of them.

The best PAF is the one YOU like the best. Making a thread about it will most likely not give you any answers that are usable. It's like asking someone which shoes would be most comfortable on YOUR feet. I know which shoes I like on MY feet, but how would I know what your feet are like?

Judging from your equipment I would say swapping out the pickups would have questionable gains in tonal quality. on the reissue replacing the pickups would probably devalue it. And for the 1980 that might also devalue it. Could possibly have T-tops, or something else, but if they sound good who cares?

I'm kinda a Philistine, I like the s Duncan JB in the bridge of my '96 LP studio, and the Gibson P90 in 'bucker shape in the nose. (P96?)

PAF's of any stripe are one trick ponies IMHO, which is why the JB was developed in the first place.

Also got a used '90's SG standard 4 years ago, some wanna be luthier had leveled but not crowned the frets, I crowned and polished only to find to my dismay wb hadn't set neck straight, but this SG came with tall frets so was able to set neck properly and do-over, standard p'ups were Gibson ceramic 'buckers, had a Duncan Pearly Gates in parts, stuck it in on a whim, it found a permanent home. It balanced so well with the stock Gibson nose 'bucker that I left stock in place, very rare, I've been swapping p'ups for decades and am to the point I can aurilize which p'up an axe needs merely by playing it for just a couple hours, and I rarely leave them stock.

Orange drops work well for me, a caution, always solder them in with the print side up, folks have had major tone issues more than once installing print side down...don't know why but please be advised.

Orange drops work well for me' date=' a caution, always solder them in with the print side up, folks have had major tone issues more than once installing print side down...don't know why but please be advised.[/quote']

Some years ago, an engineer from Sprague explained that the orientation of the label bears no relation to polarity. It is a random process because these are 'non polarized' capacitors. However, one side of the cap does connect to an internal foil, and it has been suggested that in amplifiers the orientation could make a difference.

It wouldn't hurt to try them either way around in a guitar tone circuit. As the manufacturer said - the label is not an indication of which side is connected to the foil.

And bear in mind that some Orange Drops don't have the internal foil...

Archived