Gibson Brands Forums

Shopping at True Tone Music in Santa Monica

Californiaman

I was in Los Angeles yesterday. Since True Tone music was literally two blocks away from my appointments location I spent an hour there in the afternoon. I like the variety and selection of quality new and used instruments at True Tone. While a couple of the sales guys are young, typical of most music stores, there's a couple of the older guys who really know their stuff.

As for the younger guys, the older ones were making fun of them when a customer tried to get the deal he could. They pretty much want to sell you everything at the sticker price, but if you go in with cash, they'll deal with you.

I tried two Dr. Z amps yesterday. The JAZ 20/40 and the Remedy. While the Remedy was a real responsive, in your face, almost plexi-style amp, the JAZ 20/40 had a lot more versatility. I liked the fact it had reverb and tremelo. Don't think I'll get either one too soon. But it was nice to try the Dr. Z stuff.

I was in Los Angeles yesterday. Since True Tone music was literally two blocks away from my appointments location I spent an hour there in the afternoon. I like the variety and selection of quality new and used instruments at True Tone. While a couple of the sales guys are young' date=' typical of most music stores, there's a couple of the older guys who really know their stuff.

As for the younger guys, the older ones were making fun of them when a customer tried to get the deal he could. They pretty much want to sell you everything at the sticker price, but if you go in with cash, they'll deal with you.

I tried two Dr. Z amps yesterday. The JAZ 20/40 and the Remedy. While the Remedy was a real responsive, in your face, almost plexi-style amp, the JAZ 20/40 had a lot more versatility. I liked the fact it had reverb and tremelo. Don't think I'll get either one too soon. But it was nice to try the Dr. Z stuff.[/quote']

I won't buy anything at a music store without making them take 15% off. 20% if I'm lucky.

Regarding discounts.

I was recently speaking with my friend who tours with U2. He told me that musicians can typically get as much as 40% off retail price—at least he does.

That's a significant drop in price.

The kid at True Tone gave me the usual speal. "The dealers don't allow us any room to mark them down. That's the price we have to sell them at." But when I said, how about a cash deal, he said to me, "Well then we can negotiate."

I'm with you Kimba, no mark down, no deal. I'll take my cash elsewhere to someone who will give me a good deal.

If they offer me a great deal on something, then I'm a happy customer more apt to return and spend some more money in their store. I'm happy, they're happy and my friends are going to hear about it.

Dave in Spain could chime in regarding his great deal from True Tone. He knows they'll deal.

Archived