Gibson Brands Forums

J-200 - 100th anniversary model

Nine

I've seen a 1994 (100th anniversary) J-200 for sale in the UK for around $3' date='000 (£2,000).

Just wondering if this price seems reasonable or not?[/quote']

Seems pretty reasonable to me, especially if we're talking about a UK dealer price. Be aware, however, that there were some quality issues at Gibson in 1994-95 (caused by a major ramp-up in production associated with the Centennial). They built some great guitars those years, but also a higher percentage than either just before or just after that were either just so-so or had some issues.

-- Bob R

There are FAKE J-200's out there too' date=' coming from China...so be careful.....Label inside is Very different for the 1994 models.....[/quote']

They probably fake their own stuff.

Zero pride, that bunch.

There are FAKE J-200's out there too' date=' coming from China...so be careful.....Label inside is Very different for the 1994 models.....[/quote']

This is it. There's a clear photograph of the label on here. Does it look like a genuine one?

J200 1994 Model

Looks legit to me. The label on the inside is different and normal but I quickly looked up other 100th Anniversary models and found the same label with the same orientation on multiple guitars. The case looks correct too.

My opinion, its a real Gibson.

This is it. There's a clear photograph of the label on here. Does it look like a genuine one?

J200 1994 Model

Label in the pic is the same as my 1993 L-20...but labels can be faked too.....I think there is a way to check serial numbers with customer service, to see if they are correct for that guitar..........others in here may know how.....

I purchased a 100 year limited edition 1938 SJ-100 new back in 94. It was one of only 100 made. There were none to be seen locally, so I had to purchase it mail order. I love Gibson, but I must say it was the worst sounding, most lifeless piece of wood I've ever laid my hands on. I kept it for about ten years trying to coax sound from it and finally sold it. So, if you are interested, by all means, play it first!

I purchased a 100 year limited edition 1938 SJ-100 new back in 94. It was one of only 100 made. There were none to be seen locally' date=' so I had to purchase it mail order. I love Gibson, but I must say it was the worst sounding, most lifeless piece of wood I've ever laid my hands on. I kept it for about ten years trying to coax sound from it and finally sold it. So, if you are interested, by all means, play it first![/quote']

Based on my limited experience with them - gotta agree.

My wife had one those guitars when we met and to this day it remains one of the worst sounding Gibsons I have ever played. If nothing else, it had no volume and was poorly balanced. Once she got a chance to mess around with my 1960 J-200 that guitar of hers went bye bye soon thereafter.

Archived