Gibson Brands Forums

Need help... SERIOUS business D:

Shadowhuntxx

Ok, there was a plastic wrapper stuck under the screw near my pickup, little did i know it was the one that holds it up.... I unscrewed it and now my whole pickup went down there... HELP D: im so screwed if my parents find out, its a SG special faded btw.

Heres some pics

IMAG0032.jpg

IMAG0033.jpg

SOME MORE INFO

I am a noob at all this technical guitar stuff... i just play, today was the first time i ever touched a screw on a guitar :-

HELP D:

Not an SG guy, but as was previously posted, can you get the lose end of the humbucker elevated enough the rescrew in the adjustment screw?

The humbucker has a tab at each end with a threaded hole.

humbucker.jpg

Like in this picture.

An adjustment screw (2 total) goes through the pickguard and into this hole. By threading it in or out, the height of the HB changes. So, tip the HB up somehow, like with your fingers, and use a screwdriver (philips?) to get the screw to thread back in (righty tighty).

Ahh - there's supposed to be a spring on the screw, beneath the pickguard and above the HB tab...

Like in this picture...

install2v.jpg

Is there one loose in the pickup cavity?

So get that spring out and into place on the screw - is it possible to do all that w/o taking it apart? (removing strings and pickguard off)

Yeah you will have to take the pick guard off because the spring likes to pop off at an angle when you disengage the screw.

So take the strings off and git-r-done. Next time if you would like the head of the screw to rise you must hold the pick up in place as you turn it.

Just playin dude. Remove the strings, unscrew the bridge and the pickguard screws. Fix up the spring and put everything back together. Be sure to remember where your bridge is postitioned so you can put it back to the way you want. Its really no big deal. I'm sure your parents will understand

ok umm, the bridge totally fell apart when i cut the strings, i think thats suppose to happen but the good news is that i fixed the spring, now i need to know how to set that main thing where the strings rests on, one side keeps unlocking while the other is locked

Easy fellas. He was nervous about the whole thing. He can always restring. Look at it this way. It's been a good experience for you in learning how your guitar goes together. It will help you immensely down the road. Well done lad. You've made your first repair. Proud of ya! :P

Easy fellas. He was nervous about the whole thing. He can always restring. Look at it this way. It's been a good experience for you in learning how your guitar goes together. It will help you immensely down the road. Well done lad. You've made your first repair. Proud of ya! :P

oops. sorry, i didnt mean to sound mean............

the tune-o-matic bridge canbe lifted off if the strings are not attatched, as they hold it against the pegs for it,

If your parents ask why its in a state like that, say some comment about poor string quality, or that they have been on for ages

dont mean to sound disrespectful but you sound like you are completely and totally clueless about guitars' date=', do you think you'll even be able to restring it properly ??[/quote']

Give him a break. It's his precious SG and he was worried about it. Sounds like he's done a good job so far and learned quite a few things. None of us were born guitar experts, we learned it all the same way.

Archived