Gibson Brands Forums

How do tires help you save miles on gas?

dem00n

They made a big deal about radials saving from bias ply too.

A lot has to do nowadays I think with tire pressures. I run my Jeep with much higher pressures than I used to run my cars and get reasonable mileage for the size vehicle and how/where I drive.

My understanding is it has to do with how much energy is lost to the tires themselves.

m

Generally speaking, soft and cushy is offset by wasted energy which translates to lower MPGs.

By raising tire pressure, above the manufacturer's recommendation, you make them harder and less resilient, therefore your MPGs go up, at a loss in ride comfort and tire longevity.

My guess is that the gas saving tires are made stiffer and less cushy. They may also be using a more fuel efficient tread pattern. But at what cost? Ride Comfort? Traction (i.e. less stability in turns)? Shorter tire life?

160 gals over the life of a set of tires? $3.00 * 160 = $480.00. That should just about pay for the tires. Where do I get these?

What are they comparing the gas mileage to? Under-inflated bias plies? or their 'lesser' model tires?

There actually is a science behind rolling resistance based on a number of factors including tire tread pattern, tire width, tire weight, tire material compound, etc.

I would suspect the 160 gallons saved is over the expected life of the tires. Over a 60,000 mile tread life that would require a little over a mile per gallon better fuel economy.

That's within the realm of doable.

Yup and the lower the pressure the better the traction (to a point) but the rolling of the tire becomes harder to do and looses its ability to be efficient. When I used to race the camaro I used drag slicks (Mickey T's) and only ran 10psi and those tires would be real sticky and get ya down that track but for sure not a tire to use on a real world/road environment.

We used a ammonia, water mix to get our's real sticky. Turn them over one time at the line, then we were ready to race. But that was in "74".

Archived