Gibson Brands Forums

Help identify a SJ-200 model?

Westway001

I wonder if anyone can help me to confirm that the guitar on sale here is indeed a True Vintage SJ-200?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Gibson-SJ-200-True-Vintage-Acoustic-Guitar-Pickup-/200498631441?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item2eaea65311

I asked the Gibson service team to confirm but they said first of all that it was a Modern Classic (although the spec for the Modern Classic says it has gold Grover rotomatic tuners rather than green gotohs and has only two MoP inlays at the bridge) and then they decided it was a Standard although the Standard spec also says gold Grover rotomatic tuners and the Standard has onboard electronics.

Also confusing is the fact that the Gibson website page for the Standard shows a picture of a guitar with gotoh tuners immediately above the specification which states that it has gold Grovers, although you can clearly see the soundhole volume control which means that it is electro:

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments/Super-Jumbo/Gibson-Acoustic/J-200-Standard/Features.aspx

Is there a model of SJ-200 (2006 onwards) that has gotoh tuners other than the True Vintage?

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

It is not a True Vintage model as they were not being made in 2006,as serial number suggests.I had a late 2005 and it matched above with the gold tuners also.The hang tag identified it as "SJ 200 Reissue" and tuners were described as "Gold Keystone",also the case is the standard Gibson supplied model,all True Vintage guitars had the custom tan Redline cases.Everything supports a standard SJ-200 and that is not a bad thing,just don't pay extra for a false True Vintage designation.

These are wonderful guitars nonetheless.

Take care,

Todd

I wonder if anyone can help me to confirm that the guitar on sale here is indeed a True Vintage SJ-200?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Gibson-SJ-200-True-Vintage-Acoustic-Guitar-Pickup-/200498631441?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item2eaea65311

I asked the Gibson service team to confirm but they said first of all that it was a Modern Classic (although the spec for the Modern Classic says it has gold Grover rotomatic tuners rather than green gotohs and has only two MoP inlays at the bridge) and then they decided it was a Standard although the Standard spec also says gold Grover rotomatic tuners and the Standard has onboard electronics.

Also confusing is the fact that the Gibson website page for the Standard shows a picture of a guitar with gotoh tuners immediately above the specification which states that it has gold Grovers' date=' although you can clearly see the soundhole volume control which means that it is electro:

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments/Super-Jumbo/Gibson-Acoustic/J-200-Standard/Features.aspx

Is there a model of SJ-200 (2006 onwards) that has gotoh tuners other than the True Vintage?

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

[/quote']

With torca on this.

I looked at this one too and something doesn't quite fit

Mind you also on Ebay is

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Gibson-J200-vintage-/180537377910?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item2a08ddc476

Nice cheap price but the serial number is faded ( !!!!!!DUH! wahts the graphic for an alarm bell ringing?)

There was a similarly priced J200 also from the Isle of Man a few months ago on Craiglist, I emailed the guy ( who again couldn't see the serial number)

Caveat Emptor!

getting back to the first guitar you must live on top of it! Why not go and play and see whether the "TV" status is important.... Its not a bad price as it stands

John

... Is there a model of SJ-200 (2006 onwards) that has gotoh tuners other than the True Vintage? ...

It is not a True Vintage model as they were not being made in 2006 ...

+1 The TV and MC lines were introduced in 2007. This is a 2006. Ergo, it is neither a TV nor an MC (a/k/a "Standard"). It's what you might call a "regular 2006 production model" J-200 -- featurewise, an MC but with vintage-style tuners and no pickup.

-- Bob R

Well, thanks much for all your replies - very helpful!

So its essentially categorised simply as a J-200 and has the features of a Modern Classic (otherwise known as a Standard) but with gotoh tuners and no electrics and with 4 MoP inlays rather than 2, and no rolled edge on the fingerboard.

Does that give it a sitka spruce top and curly maple back and sides?

Any opinions on value?

Thanks again.

Dave

Does that give it a sitka spruce top and curly maple back and sides?

Almost certainly: the photos show it's curly maple and' date=' if non-Sitka, it should say "Custom" or something on the label, which it doesn't.

Any opinions on value?

In the U.S., I'd expect to see this dealer-priced around, ummm ... let's say $2500 (i.e., ~80% of a good price on a new Standard), assuming that it's in excellent condition. Maybe 40% higher than that in the U.K is right -- I know guitars are way more expensive over there.

-- Bob R

Thanks Bob, I really appreciate your advice.

Love your part of the world, also been there thrice (twice to see JWB at Mountain View/Shoreline) and enjoyed all points between Sausalito to Berkeley, Monterrey etc down to LA.

Maybe I'll just buy a new SJ Standard so I know what the spec is!

John, I'm not sure that playing it would help me identify it - although I guess it would help me decide if its any good!

Dave

Wouldn't a True Vintage have the brown case' date=' or tan case as torca calls it?[/quote']

I believe that it would. Also, the TV line had the serial number stamped on the neck block inside the soundhole instead of on the back of the headstock.

If I didn't want a True Vintage this model would be next in line,got the goods.If I see correctly it has the frets edges bound and the 4 bar bridge(more pearl is just like cowbell ,can't get enough!)so if the price is right, it bursts with Gibson sunbursty goodness.(TM@)

"workin on our night moves in the summertime,

.In the sweet summertime.."

This guitar would play that real good I suspect,

Todd

Archived