Gibson Brands Forums

recording a LP?

VBB

Can anyone recommend a mixer / recording board that is less expensive, has USB in/out and is a good quality. I want to record my LP with vocals in, and another guitar, bass or maybe play with original track. Any recommendations or warnings are appreciated.

I don't have any experience with usb interfaces. I run Firewire without a physical mixer and 'll be mixing my next project on the software mixer on the PC .

But just to be sure I'm reading this correctly ....

You're looking for a mixer that's also a usb interface to connect to your PC / recording software?

You want to record your LP and vocals at the same time and then add additional instruments on other tracks?

Before I buy anything, I go to 3 or 4 music store sites, look at the options, read the user reviews and also go to yahoo.com and do a search for the product name and user reviews so for example, if I'm considering a Shure SM7, I'll enter "Shure SM7 user reviews" without the quotations and read some reviews from the search result links. The Harmony-Central user reviews are usually helpful too. I also remove "user" and just search product name and reviews for some additional input. One thing I consider is the actual experience or context of the review to understand the background of the reviewer. If they've only compared it with "gear of questionable integrety" or if they have only been recording for 3 days, then I learn what I can there and seek out the more experienced reviewers comments. Everyone is trying to help everyone else out, but some reviewers have better insight. Amazon has useful reviews sometimes too.

I've been using an Alseis IO2 with my Macbook for years and it works fine.

You can handle 2 Mics with it (even 2 active one with phantom power included in the card box.)

It's quite versatile and not expensive.

I sometimes even record m LP directly in it with amp simulators and the input pots are not that bad.

of course it's not a NEVE mixing board input, but for the price it can bring you hours of fun with a good sequencer/multitrack recorder.

I guess you can find one second hand for less than 100 USD

http://www.alesis.com/io2

I'm not sure if this has all the inputs you need and it is not a mixer but is an interface with USB. I've not sued this particular one but I do use the Presonus Firebox and I am happy with it.

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/PreSonus-AudioBox-USB-2X2-USB-Recording-System?sku=243007&ZYXSEM=0&src=3AGGWXX2

That's what I use to record. I think it's great! I use it with GarageBand and it works quite well, especially since there are no drivers that I have to deal with.

Thanks for the input. Is there the ability to be recording through the USB into the computer and have the signal play at the same time coming out through the head phone jack on the computer? So you can record and monitor at the same time. Or amplify at the same time.

Archived