Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar maintenance

Murda

Hi,

I'v purchased a Gibson Custom about 6 months ago. and i have a few question i was hoping people here might be able to help..

first, i found some tarnished spots on the gold hardware, im not sure its tarnish, but it seems like the gold is fading.

this happen on the bridge and tune-o-matic parts where i rest my hand while playing..

is this normal? after 6 months? or a defect?

another thing. there are no available Gibson care products in my area (Israel)..

i was recommended about dr.Duck care product.

will this product be good for my guitar? or i should only use a Gibson brand care product?

Thanks allot

B)

• 2 months later...

Murda, congratulations on the new Gibson Custom guitar. I see you have not had any replies on your question since August. I think I can help. The gold hardware on on guitars is infamous for fading in the way you have described. The sweat and oil from our skin breaks down the gold plating on the hardware nd the underneath becomes exposed. This, unfortunately, happens on most guitars with gold hardware if it is played regularly. As far as I know, there is no avoiding this. Enjoy the guitar and think about buying a guitar with nickel plating next time. EREV TOV.

Hi,

I'v purchased a Gibson Custom about 6 months ago. and i have a few question i was hoping people here might be able to help..

first, i found some tarnished spots on the gold hardware, im not sure its tarnish, but it seems like the gold is fading.

this happen on the bridge and tune-o-matic parts where i rest my hand while playing..

is this normal? after 6 months? or a defect?

another thing. there are no available Gibson care products in my area (Israel)..

i was recommended about dr.Duck care product.

will this product be good for my guitar? or i should only use a Gibson brand care product?

Thanks allot

B)

Although you can't eliminate gold wear entirely, you can slow it down by wiping the guitar off after using it, giving special attention to the metal parts that have been in contact with your hands. The best thing I have found for doing this is a piece of chamois--the natural stuff, not the manufactured type. I have compared the results using cotton fabric, and the chamois is clearly superior. In the US you can find chamois at auto parts stores, Costco and Wal-Mart. I cut the large pieces into squares of about 8-10" and keep a couple in my gig bag and leave a few lying around the house.

After every gig I wipe the metal down before putting the guitar back in the case. I have guitars I have been playing for years that show very little gold wear, so I know it helps. In any case, it can't hurt, and it only takes a few seconds to do.

Danny W.

• 10 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Yes, wiping is the only way to slow down (not prevent) gold plating wear and tear.

I play an Explorer with gold hardware have pretty aggressive sweat. Regular gigging means my guitar (new in 2008) now looks pretty worn in, which happily I like. Nickel plating is just as bad. Chrome is the only metal I can't corrode, but then guitars with bodies sprayed with nitrocellulose lacquer are going to age, so why not let the metal parts age gracefully too?

People often ask if my 97 SG 61 Reissue is an original as it has that great worn in mojo. I still have photos of what it looked like when it was new but would never want it looking other than it does now! Its clean and well cared for, but sexier.

Anyhow, back to your guitar.Don't worry, play it!

Grow old with your guitar and enjoy the company of an old friend! My guitars don't slag me off about my looks and I'm equally not fussy about theirs.

Archived