Gibson Brands Forums

NGD: Taylor GS BTO

bkharmony

I know, it's not a Gibson, but a while back, lots of folks said they wanted more pics and write-ups of new guitars, so I've edited several of my posts on the AGF for the Gibson crew! I took possession Wednesday. This is the guitar I decided to order when I got frustrated with trying to figure out Gibson's byzantine Custom program.

I've had a little time to play it some more. Not nearly as much as I'd like, but such is the life of the employed. I have a gig tomorrow, so I'll get to know her a lot better. The guitar sounds amazing. I was a bit worried about my choice of woods (Englemann/Walnut), but it turns out to be exactly what I wanted. Lots of thick, chunky midrange with a remarkable clarity. I don't hear any hint of the Englemann "breakup" some folks warned me about under heavy strumming (thanks Adi bracing???). Volume is not quite what I expected. Perhaps the short scale adds to that? But volume really isn't that important, as this guitar will mostly be played plugged in. Really, it kinda sounds like a Gibson AJ or 185 to my ears. [biggrin]

DSC04347sm.jpg

DSC04348sm.jpg

DSC04349sm.jpg

DSC04353sm.jpg

DSC04358sm.jpg

The burst really isn't that red. It's simply a natural tobacco color. Really beautiful. These iPhone pics are much closer to the actual appearance:

IMG_1040.jpg

IMG_1039.jpg

IMG_1036.jpg

The things that I keep coming back to is, again, how chunky and full the low-mids are. After breaking the strings in a bit, I hear even fewer highs. Bass is rich, but not boomy. I expected a little more upper mids from the Walnut, but there are, of course, a lot of factors to consider. For the most part, this is exactly the sound I wanted (though I wouldn't mind a bit more "chimey-ness." I think my Goodalls have spoiled me) - something to fill the mid-range in a group that has lots of highs (fiddle, whistle and mandolin) and lots of bass (bodhran). I think for my application, this sound is going to be perfect. It's rich, with just enough overtones, but not so much complexity as to interfere with other instruments, or voice.

I played it in comparison to my Goodall Standard, Goodall Grand Concert, Adi/Hog J-45 and Rosewood L-4A, and all those guitars outperform this GS as far as volume. Like I said, I'm going to be using this guitar almost exclusively plugged in, so tone is what matters, not volume, but I have to admit I'm a bit disappointed and somewhat baffled. I was under the impression the GS body, the Adi bracing and the Walnut back would help increase the volume and offset the Englemann top and short scale. Both my short scale Gibsons are louder, so I wonder if it really is the Englemann top that's keeping the volume down. Still, I find the Englemann is very rich and delivers a quite satisfying churn when strummed actively.

The T-5 carve with 1-11/16" nut is very easy to fret: open chords and barres are a breeze. It's only when attempting a Dm or F (non-barre) that things get difficult. Again, if I had to do it over, I'd get the 1-3/4". The short scale also helps make the guitar easy to strum. In fact, everything does - and that was my intention. 97% of my playing in the band I ordered this for is strumming.

I am a bit disappointed in the action, though. I really expected more from Taylor. It looks like a factory Gibson setup: playable, particularly near the nut, but surprisingly high at the 12th fret. I think I need to measure and compare to their specs, because it's just not up to their standards, IMO. (measured after writing this: 5/32 at 12th fret - not acceptable!)

Also very disappointed in the case candy department. I mean, not even a cloth or a truss rod wrench? Not even a decal? Come on... Also, apparently, Taylor thinks locking cases is passe. There's no way to do so, with or without a padlock. Really guys? And can we get something a little classier for a strapjack on the ES? It just looks like a piece of garbage you'd find on a $300 Fender.

So, finally, I'd say this guitar is 95% what I was looking for, and I'm 95% pleased with Taylor's work. The lack of setup really bothers me though, and makes me wonder if anyone really looked at this guitar before it left the factory. As I've whined about over and over, I wish I had ordered a wider nut. That's on me. I'm going to play it at our gig tomorrow and decide then if I talk to Jim about paying for a rebuild. It's highly unlikely I'll do so, but I felt like I had taken a positive step forward with the wider nut, being able to flatpick better and learning to stretch my fingers, and I'd hate to lose that progress.

Sorry for writing a book, but, hey - we're here to talk guitars, right? And I don't know that I'm ever going to have another brand new Taylor BTO in my lap!*

Thanks for reading,

Billy

More pics:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v471/bkharmony/Taylor%20BTO/

P.S. I'm gonna swap those gold 510 Deltas for chrome ones ASAP. If you need a brand new set of amazing tuners, keep an eye on the classifieds.

*Until my GAS for a 9-string flares up again, of course.

Pretty nice looking guitar for not being a Gibson! :- The burst looks a bit odd to my eye with the light back/side wood, but it could grow on me. Guess I'm used to seeing bursts with darker backs, but it is certainly a beautifully done sunburst. The walnut looks nice, very much like koa. Bummer on the factory setup.......reckon Gibson's not the only outfit with these kind of issues. You can surely tweak the setup to your liking, but that's not the point, huh.

Congrats on the score and I hope it turns out to be just what you were wanting for a plugged-in live guitar!

Congrats BK. I know lots of folks who play and love Taylors. I kinda llike the Vega star on the headstock. I hope that electrified baby cuts through the way you want it to on the stage.

Regarding setup - I would think that is pretty much a personal thing and that a smart company would not worry too much about it because they will never please everyone. They once tried to deal with that by slapping adjustable bridges on guitars. That one worked out well, didn't it.

Taylors may be the most articulate guitars I have ever played. If I were doing alot of flatpicked lead stuff I might be looking at one myself. I just find them way too flippin' bright and lacking the hard thumping bass I like for some fingerpicked, rolling the bass natch'el blues.

But I gotta say, if a Gibson AJ sounds like a Taylor then Houston, we have a problem.

reckon Gibson's not the only outfit with these kind of issues. You can surely tweak the setup to your liking' date=' but that's not the point, huh.[/quote']

Yeah, all those folks who believe Gibson is the only guitar maker with any inconsistencies coming form the factory are nuts.

Regarding setup - I would think that is pretty much a personal thing and that a smart company would not worry too much about it because they will never please everyone.

True' date=' but from what I recall, Taylor has rather strict guidelines about setup: 3/32 at 12th fret.

I just find them way too flippin' bright and lacking the hard thumping bass I like for some fingerpicked' date=' rolling the bass natch'el blues.[/quote']

Not this Taylor, man! :-

Archived