Gibson Brands Forums

The Best 12AX7/ECC83

guitarmanjt

In my admitted limited experience with experimenting with tubes, I've found that it depends on the particular amplifier. I have a couple of NOS Telefunkens that sound great in the Fender amps that I own (blackface Champ, Blues Jr) as those amps are pretty bright sounding and the Telefunken is relatively thicker sounding than most other 12AX7 tubes that I've tried (EHX, JJ, Tung-Sol, Penta and a few others I can't recall). Those same Telefunken tubes sound horrible (muddy) in my Mesa Stiletto which is a totally different animal from either of the two Fender amps; I like JJs all around in the Mesa.

I have a Blackstar HT-5 amp with one extension cab and I use an Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top. I play classic rock, but Blackstar is more of a heavy metal brand. I'm trying to get a sound that's brighter and with more presence. I saw JJ/Tesla ones and they look good. Do they tend to have more presence than the EHX?

The JJs have a slightly thicker sound to them than the EHX tubes.

One thing that you should realize when it comes to tube swapping is that the changes are going to be relatively subtle and are not going to cause significant changes in the sound of your amp. What I listen for is the character of how the tube breaks up; that is, with what I mentioned above with the Telefunken is that it breaks up nicely in my Fender amps but doesn't have enough "zing" in the breakup when used in my Mesa amp.

I think what you ought to do is ask some folks who have the same amp as you do what they've tried and are using and go with those suggestions. It's one thing to describe what whatever tube sounded like in whatever amp, but it's another to find out what works in a particular amp and then try some of those tubes yourself to see if you like the results.

I wish I could give you a clearer answer, but I've never played through the amp you have let alone experimented with tubes in one.

Unfortunately, I am only looking for a certain tube to compensate for my guitar. Since I play an Epiphone, the pickups aren't as hot as on a Gibson, my tone isn't as lively. I have tried my amp with a Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro and that combo is perfect. Unfortunately, I can't get a Les Paul anytime soon.

Archived