Gibson Brands Forums

Strings

newuser

:-k

I am thinking about putting a medium gauge set of strings on my AJ-500MNS.

Will I have to change the bridge and nut setup?

By performing this, am I at risk of causing some damage to the bridge?

I really do need about advise on this.

Mennny Thanks

What's on there now?

If you go down a size like Heavy to Mediums, your action will lower and visa versa if you go up a size. Though not much but enough that you can tell.

I'm curious why, if you have lights on now you want to go up to Mediums? What is it your looking for with a different gauge string? Know this too.. if you go up a gauge, its harder to play barre chords etc due to the increased tension.

You "might" have to have your guitar set up for med strings

I put some on my SJ-200, They fit nice, & gave a lot more sound. That's all I use on it.

I liked them so much I tried a set on my AJ short scale. This time I didn't have the same luck.

They didn't feel good at all, & added nothing positive, to the guitar. I like the feel of the med's fine,

& I think they add a lot to the volume, of a guitar.

They do make barre cords a little harder to play, but not that much!! You will get used to them

very fast.

I won't use anything else on my j200, But on my aj500m, I like the light's fine, same for my aj shortscale.

I would say get a cheaper set of med's, & give them a try. If they fit without a setup, & you like them, you can replace them with something better next time.

](*,)

Thank you both for responding to my question.

I have a light gauge set of Elixir Nanowebs on at this time.

I was hopping for a little more bass response. I tend to

overdrive the strings at times. Maybe medium gauge strings

might cut the buzz due to some over expression.

What do you think?

What's on there now?

"I'm curious why' date=' if you have lights on now you want to go up to Mediums? What is it your looking for with a different gauge string? Know this too.. if you go up a gauge, its harder to play barre chords etc due to the increased tension."[/quote']

Well just a little guitar 101 here. Bigger strings = Bigger tone.

Mediums strings although a bit harder to get used to will produce a fuller, louder, richer sound than lights. Their increased heft also will vibrate the top more and make the guitar seem more alive. Also, in general, the heavier the gauge, the less string buzz will be on the instrument.

You probably won't have to adjust anything on your guitar moving up to mediums. But like anything, a proper set up is required to get the most out of any guitar. When I put mediums on my Epi I had to work the nut to be able to barr in the first position. The truss rod may also have to be adjusted to compensate for the increased string tension.

One work of CAUTION, if it is a vintage instrument or a lightly braced instrument, sometimes mediums are a no-no because of the increased string tension that they will put on the neck.

This is true also for electrics. That's why not many can sound like the great SRV. His use of heavy strings made his Strat sound like no other.

So try a set, give them a week. You will get used to the extra effort required and be rewarded with better tone. You may never go back. Put one gauge heavier on your electric while you are at it. Same thing.

Good luck!

One work of CAUTION, if it is a vintage instrument or a lightly braced instrument, sometimes mediums are a no-no because of the increased string tension that they will put on the neck.

With all the information that has been stated, will a AJ-500M handle the stress?:-k :-k

=D>

I am thinking about putting a medium gauge set of strings on my AJ-500MNS.

Will I have to change the bridge and nut setup?

By performing this' date=' am I at risk of causing some damage to the bridge?

I really do need about advise on this.

Mennny Thanks[/quote

You might want to try a set of Martin Fingerstyle "SP" Phosphor Bronze Medium strings on your AJ Epiphone.

These strings from Martin have a thinner core wire than standard medium guitar strings, Even though the core wire is thinner, the outer wrapped wire gives plenty of strength. These Fingerstyle Martins are much easer to fret, and give a really nice sound for fingerstyle playing as well as hard chording. Quite a few friends of mine that play Bluegrass and Folk music, are now using them. And reviews by some guitar magazines really like them.

• 2 weeks later...

epiphone states that all masterbilts can handle mediums with no problems. the big reason for going to mediums is that the larger strings vibrate the top more making the guitar louder. i have nanoweb lights on now and when i go to have set up will have them set up for mediums. mediums will be harder to play at first but after getting use to them should be no problem barring or bending any of the strings. by the way just tried the pb of the nanowebs too bright. i will go back to regular nanowebs 80/20

epiphone states that all masterbilts can handle mediums with no problems. the big reason for going to mediums is that the larger strings vibrate the top more making the guitar louder. i have nanoweb lights on now and when i go to have set up will have them set up for mediums. mediums will be harder to play at first but after getting use to them should be no problem barring or bending any of the strings. by the way just tried the pb of the nanowebs too bright. i will go back to regular nanowebs 80/20

Hi - can you share with me (us) who at Epiphone confirmed that Masterbilt models can "handle medium strings with no problems". I have a new Masterbilt, and plan to change strings soon, but do not want to invalidate my warranty by using strings of the wrong gauge (mediums). As you know, the factory strings are of a very light/fine gauge. Thanks in advance for a response.

Regards,

Hi - can you share with me (us) who at Epiphone confirmed that Masterbilt models can "handle medium strings with no problems". I have a new Masterbilt' date=' and plan to change strings soon, but do not want to invalidate my warranty by using strings of the wrong gauge (mediums). As you know, the factory strings are of a very light/fine gauge. Thanks in advance for a response. by the way the strings are normal lights that come on it not very light

Regards,

[/quote'] check on their site. its there somewhere i do a lot of reading be4 i buy any guitar. somewhere on the site it has the info, but i already read it so not looking

I was gonna' stay out of this, but it's so hard....

OK.. it's basic physics. An Average set of lights has 150 pounds of lateral torqe against the bridge and the face of the guitar. http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/stringchoice.htm ... adding a few .001's to each string drives that number up, and subtracting drops it.

The truss rod is only One consideration in setting that action and preserving the integrity of the guitar. To Keep the guitar correctly intonated the bridge must be sometimes dropped as well. ( for you home tweakers 'perfect' relief is a capo'd first fret, a depressed 20th and a business card at the eighth(1/100th"-1/64th")...but the truss rod shouldn't always be the 'magic action screw')

That being said (and read) I would highly discourage anyone from throwing a set of Mediums on a Masterbilt and here's why. First, in spite of the above post I can't find ANYWHERE in the site other than the above PDF (which can be found at the bottom of the FAQ's off the main site) that allows for mediums,The possibility that I'm a moron and missed it not withstanding. In contrast, the Martin Website has special gauges (mostly mediums) recommended in the spec sheet of every individual model on their site.

I noticed that all of Martins HPL and Laminate guitars are the ones for which they recommend light gauges . This makes sense....solid wood vs. plywood, and US made,glued,clamped, vs. foreign made ?? However???(whatever???)

The guit boxes with mediums allowed/recommended are the Buffly constructed ones.

I get to see a lot of the Masterbilt Warranty returns. The Most common reason is bridge lift....second would be a crack in the face. Both of these could be the result of too heavy of gauge of strings. We here on the forum are all familiar with the AJ500RC and all of it's little nuances (euphimism)

When they make our guitars they shoot them in poly and Then afterwards glue the bridge down. I know some people from agf who have removed the bridge, stripped the finish and reglued it back down. Otherwise, putting on mediums might add an extra 20 or so pounds that they just weren't designed to with stand. I have no proof that the reason for all those bridges lifting is string tension, but the anecdotal evidence is there.

...just my 47 cents

-piggy

I was gonna' stay out of this' date=' but it's so hard....

OK.. it's basic physics. An Average set of lights has 150 pounds of lateral torqe against the bridge and the face of the guitar. http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/stringchoice.htm ... adding a few .001's to each string drives that number up, and subtracting drops it.

The truss rod is only One consideration in setting that action and preserving the integrity of the guitar. To Keep the guitar correctly intonated the bridge must be sometimes dropped as well. ( for you home tweakers 'perfect' relief is a capo'd first fret, a depressed 20th and a business card at the eighth(1/100th"-1/64th")...but the truss rod shouldn't always be the 'magic action screw')

That being said (and read) I would highly discourage anyone from throwing a set of Mediums on a Masterbilt and here's why. First, in spite of the above post I can't find ANYWHERE in the site other than the above PDF (which can be found at the bottom of the FAQ's off the main site) that allows for mediums,The possibility that I'm a moron and missed it not withstanding. In contrast, the Martin Website has special gauges (mostly mediums) recommended in the spec sheet of every individual model on their site.

I noticed that all of Martins HPL and Laminate guitars are the ones for which they recommend light gauges . This makes sense....solid wood vs. plywood, and US made,glued,clamped, vs. foreign made ?? However???(whatever???)

The guit boxes with mediums allowed/recommended are the Buffly constructed ones.

I get to see a lot of the Masterbilt Warranty returns. The Most common reason is bridge lift....second would be a crack in the face. Both of these could be the result of too heavy of gauge of strings. We here on the forum are all familiar with the AJ500RC and all of it's little nuances (euphimism)

When they make our guitars they shoot them in poly and Then afterwards glue the bridge down. I know some people from agf who have removed the bridge, stripped the finish and reglued it back down. Otherwise, putting on mediums might add an extra 20 or so pounds that they just weren't designed to with stand. I have no proof that the reason for all those bridges lifting is string tension, but the anecdotal evidence is there.

...just my 47 cents

-piggy

[/quote'] all you have to do is email gibson. they will tell you. as for bridge lifting that problem is almost exclusive to the 12 fret. why? because 12 frets have a lot more tension than 14 frets. in fact i belong to a half dozen guitar forums and mediums are put on masterbilts all the time and the lifting problem is 99% on the 12 fret only. but the easiest way is to email gibson. they are fantastic with repling to all your questions. the funny thing is the one guy here said the masterbilts have superlights on them. they have 12,s which are everyday lights. too much mis info on some boards.

Archived